Question Bonaire shore vs. Klein Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Khoujo1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone! Just booked a trip to Bonaire in October. We've never been, so my question is whether it is worth the cost/time to take a boat trip to dive at Klein Bonaire vs. just hitting more of the shore diving spots on the main island. Will be there for a week; our package includes unlimited tanks for shore diving. Any advice on the shore diving is also welcome! Thanks!!

Hey everyone! Just booked a trip to Bonaire in October. We've never been, so my question is whether it is worth the cost/time to take a boat trip to dive at Klein Bonaire vs. just hitting more of the shore diving spots on the main island. Will be there for a week; our package includes unlimited tanks for shore diving. Any advice on the shore diving is also welcome! Thanks!!
I would definitely do a couple of two tank boat dives, ideally a double dip on Klein and a double dip on the far northern sites.

On the shore dives some of my favorites, in no particular order other than North to South,

Karpata.
Oil Slick.
Cliff.
Windsock.
Hilma Hooker.
The Lake.

I would definitely do a couple of two tank boat dives, ideally a double dip on Klein and a double dip on the far northern sites.

On the shore dives some of my favorites, in no particular order other than North to South,

Karpata.
Oil Slick.
Cliff.
Windsock.
Hilma Hooker.
The Lake.
There are a number of northern sites that are different, excellent, and boat-only (no shore access), plus the sites on Klein. If you do shore-only, you'll be missing some very good and different stuff.

Klein is definitely worth a couple of boat dives, as are some of the boat-only northern sites. Depending on who your shore package is with, there might be discounted boat dives available.
As for favorite shore dives, I would add Tolo, Salt Pier and Pink Beach to @arew+4’s list. I know, some people feel the Salt Pier is overrated. But I saw 2 turtles, a huge green moray, a couple of spotted moray’s and 2 scorpionfish on my most recent dive there. Hard to pass that up.

Have a great time!
Erik

Also, since it's your first trip I will recommend this book. Read ahead if your a planner, or thumb through it on the plane if not.
Screenshot_20240222-125449.png

Hi @Khoujo1

My wife and I find the boat only northern and Klein Bonaire sites complementary to regular shore diving sites. You might also consider trying the east coast

Where are you staying, who are you diving with?

For sure you should consider East Side Boat Diving. Totally different experience than anything on the West.

I personally don't find the Klein sites to be worth the time, cost and boat ride.

Boat diving at Bonaire is a nice change of pace from the more work-intensive shore diving. However, other than specific dive-sites that are only accessible by boat, you will not miss much in terms of critters, etc. if you only did shore diving.

Unless the boat dives were included in the cost of some package, I would not pay extra for it.

Boat diving at Bonaire is a nice change of pace from the more work-intensive shore diving. However, other than specific dive-sites that are only accessible by boat, you will not miss much in terms of critters, etc. if you only did shore diving.

Unless the boat dives were included in the cost of some package, I would not pay extra for it.
I guess you have mot done the East side or the far north?

Back
Top Bottom