Florida Treasure / Artifact Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I know that there are quite a few web sites covering areas to go for Treasure / Artifact Diving in Florida, however I have not found any that accurately report finds in these areas.

Has anyone out there been Treasure / Artifact Diving in Florida?

Where did you go? How accessable is the site (boat/shore)?

What is your favorite site/area?

What were your finds?

The Suwannee river is loaded with atrifacts and fossils.
I have been diving the lower Suwannee (from the Gulf up about 12 miles) for many years. I have found hundreds of artifacts from clovis and simpsons to 6 inch Newnans, pipes,bowles, you name it. also, alot of fossills mammoth/mastedon teeth ray teeh, bear teeth. Any where you go on the suwanne you will find something unless someone has been there before you. Dive the inside of corners and the high bank side of streight runs. You should use a boat. If you can get to it by shore, someone has.
David

JaxvilleDiver:
I know that there are quite a few web sites covering areas to go for Treasure / Artifact Diving in Florida, however I have not found any that accurately report finds in these areas.

What were your finds?

Glad to see some fellow relic hunters on this site. Jaxville Diver, do you relic dive in the Jax area? I'm a little north of you.

WD

willydiver:
Glad to see some fellow relic hunters on this site. Jaxville Diver, do you relic dive in the Jax area? I'm a little north of you. WD

Yes I do...mostly in the St. John's river...Have made some interesting finds there...I am looking for someone/a group to partner-up with to make some trips with (My wife's not too keen on dark water diving). Or someone to point me in the right direction for other areas of the state - I have been all over the websites, but the information that they give are menial at best.

I have heard there is a dive site in the Keys you can hunt for treasure. I believe it's one of the Mel Fisher sites. I was in St. Croix and another diver was telling me about it. If anyone knows of the details I would be interested.

DivingGator:
I have heard there is a dive site in the Keys you can hunt for treasure. I believe it's one of the Mel Fisher sites. I was in St. Croix and another diver was telling me about it. If anyone knows of the details I would be interested.

I think that you can dive the Atocha Site through Key West Diving Society (someone help me if I have the wrong shop, it may have been Captain's Corner), I came across some literature on their website about a year ago. BTW: it's a look but don't touch trip.- I'll see if I can find the link.

Also, I was told by one of the Atocha treasure shop owners that you can go out on a trip with the Fisher team, for a considerable donation (I believe she told me minimum of $10,000), however you can keep anything you find (although it has to be declared with the state of Fl.) - I did do some research on this and investors can go along on a trip however I am not sure what the stipulations are though.

I have heard of some other sites, however I can't think of any one off of the top of my head at this time. If I come across any I'll get back with you.

JaxvilleDiver:
I think that you can dive the Atocha Site through Key West Diving Society (someone help me if I have the wrong shop, it may have been Captain's Corner), I came across some literature on their website about a year ago. BTW: it's a look but don't touch trip.- I'll see if I can find the link.

Also, I was told by one of the Atocha treasure shop owners that you can go out on a trip with the Fisher team, for a considerable donation (I believe she told me minimum of $10,000), however you can keep anything you find (although it has to be declared with the state of Fl.) - I did do some research on this and investors can go along on a trip however I am not sure what the stipulations are though.

I have heard of some other sites, however I can't think of any one off of the top of my head at this time. If I come across any I'll get back with you.

Thanks. The guy told me he went out there and they would get a small % of what they found like 10% or 20%. He mentioned that he found two, very small gem stones (maybe emeralds I think) and the payoff was about the cost of the dive $80. He also said someone on the boat found a chain of gold like 3 feet long. Anyways, it sounded like an interesting dive. Thanks for your reply.

JaxvilleDiver:

What were your finds?

Now adays people do not discuss what the may or may not find.at Fisher's forum,there is a lot of small talk about mostly the good ole days, but people that are looking , and those who are finding do not talk, due mostly the legal establishment. Big brother is always watching you now!!!! Capt. Tom

There are quite a few of us that hunt for sharks' teeth off of Venice beach. We find meg teeth, mastadon teeth, and as of today a mammoth or mastadon femur. Cbulla found a monster bone today (took two of them to bring it in), and should be posting pix of it shortly.

Back
Top Bottom