Florida Treasure / Artifact Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see some pictures of your relics/fossils!!

Here's a few of my megalodon teeth.

WD

Since this thread was originally posted, the rules have changed.
Artifact diving is now illegal in Florida unless you're one of the chosen few "officially" santioned by the state.
Time to fire some politicians and bureaucrats, methinks.
Rick

You're half correct. My understanding is that the recent change affected man made artifacts only.

Rick Murchison:
Since this thread was originally posted, the rules have changed.
Artifact diving is now illegal in Florida unless you're one of the chosen few "officially" santioned by the state.
Time to fire some politicians and bureaucrats, methinks.
Rick

ReefGuy:
You're half correct. My understanding is that the recent change affected man made artifacts only.

This whole issue stems from the collection of Indian artifacts by divers in Florida rivers. Recovering artifacts (man-made/over 50years old) has been illegal in Florida. The only thing that gave "permission" to collect was the Isolated Finds Program. The powers that be were influenced by a certain group of professional archaeologists to can the program. It's always been illegal to collect from State owned waters, but now the only avenue of permission for anyone other than the professional archs. is gone.

It is legal to collect sharks teeth and shells all day long. To collect vertebrate fossils, you have to pay the $5/year permit fee and report your finds at the end of the year. What a great program and value. The State wins out because it gains the infromation from the participants. They don't need any more horse teeth to fill up their museum drawers. The same group of professionals has their sights set on the Vertebrate Fossil Program, now. They argue it gives divers another excuse to pick up Indian artifacts.

Again, the only result will be the TOTAL loss of information given between the divers who won't discontinue collecting and the professional archaeologists. Way to go Florida! What a poor decision.......

WD

So as it stands right now,

No Man-made artifacts

No Vertibrate artifacts, without the $5 permit (although, it was my understanding that you needed this permit only if you consistanly collected from the same site).

Sharks' teeth and shells OK (for the moment).

BTW, Love the avatar.

ReefGuy:
So as it stands right now,

No Man-made artifacts

No Vertibrate artifacts, without the $5 permit (although, it was my understanding that you needed this permit only if you consistanly collected from the same site).

Sharks' teeth and shells OK (for the moment).

BTW, Love the avatar.

Roger that ReefGuy on the relay. Best to have the $5 permit on hand so Fish & Game doesn't have an excuse to confiscate a nice mastadon molar or leg bone from your boat.

Thanks for the compliment on the point! That's a Woodland period arrow point (called a Jacks Reef) from a South Carolina river. They've still got an artifact/fossil permit program in SC.

WD

There is little in this world that ticks me off more than pointy-headed bureaucrats and ivory tower academics who sit on their thrones and dictate what we peons can collect from our own property - public or private. Their "reasons" are red herrings all... they're just greedy.
Rick

Agreed. I've been trying to come up with some kind of reasoning to eliminate the Isolated Finds program, but can't think of a single one.

Rick Murchison:
Their "reasons" are red herrings all... they're just greedy.
Rick

Try this link; there are lots of discussions about shipwreck treasure hunting http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php/board,5.0.html mostly in Florida. However, there is much discussion of wrecks all over the planet.
There are thousands of old wrecks along the Florida coast and most have yet to be located. My aria of interest is off of Cape Canaveral and points south. Specifically the five still missing Galleons of the 1715 Fleet. Incidentally, one of those is suspected to be located near Jacksonville

Q

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom