Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mogwai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

am off to Florida visiting and staying in Orlando in October. Can anyone point me in the way of where i could possible get a days diving. What sort of distance/travel time i might need to get there etc. From what i can gather am not particularly near the coast. Would love to have at least one days diving if i can squeeze it in. Would be hiring kit as well so any info on this would also be appreciated.

Cheers:D

Well for one day of diving, you could check out Epcot and their Dive Quest. The springs around central Florida would not be too far out of the way either. Blue springs and Alexander are two that are close. Crystal River area has a nice drift dive down the Rainbow River also. All of these sites will have over 100 foot visibility. There is a Mega dive Event with scubaboarders at Ginnie Springs Oct 19-21. This would be about a 3 hour dive from Orlando.

Then you could head to either coast for the salty water. I believe there is a dive shop in Orlando that does one day dive trips on the coast, do not know the name. Maybe some others will come in and ad that info.

Have fun

Well it depends what you want to see and what certs you have. These are my quick/common answers:
- Cave/Cavern, head north about 2-3 hours (Ginnie Springs)
- Reef, head south 2 hours (West Palm Beach)
- Springs, north about 1 hour (Blue or Alexander Springs)
- Tech Wreck, south 3 hours (Hydro Atlantic wreck)

You can easily rent open water gear (hire a kit) from any shop, just determine where your staying and where your diving, then just google "Orlando Scuba"

try diving out of Daytona. Sea Dogs has a good charter. Lots of wrecks, and natural ledges. Probably your best bet for salt water since its only an hour away.

Cheers for the info folks, looks like i will hit the dive center and see what they have on offer. Would be ideal to get out to the saltwater and even more ideal to go and find a couple of sharks. Will let you all know how i got on when i return.

Chhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssss:D

Staying on Highland Reserve which i have just found out is about 10mns from the dive center, they even have a trip on the 13th October 2 tank day diving reefs. By co incedence that is my 40th birthday :D

W.

Mogwai

Try Kissimmee* Dive Center

Also, I dived with Tanksalot out of Clearwater when i was out in May. About 1-1.5 hrs drive from kissimmee

Where are you staying?

Rob

Hey, happy birthday! I'll be 52 the day after you turn 40. I'd join you to celebrate but you are diving way too far north for me. I guess I need to get working on booking my own birthday dive...

Cheers to you too!

Cheers for the info folks, looks like i will hit the dive center and see what they have on offer. Would be ideal to get out to the saltwater and even more ideal to go and find a couple of sharks. Will let you all know how i got on when i return.

Chhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssss:D
If you choose to dive Daytona, contact Spruce Creek Scuba. They are great to work with and will go the xtra mile to assist you with your dive needs.

Will raise a wee glass for you as well on the Saturday in advance of your birthday.

Slainte :D

Hey, happy birthday! I'll be 52 the day after you turn 40. I'd join you to celebrate but you are diving way too far north for me. I guess I need to get working on booking my own birthday dive...

Cheers to you too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom