Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting certified (actually start in the pool tuesday) and live in central west GA. I was wondering if you guys know any good places to go (springs or off-shore) in northern FL.
I am very excited and cannot wait to try this but I am a college student and do not have as much money as I would like to take seveal trips a year. How much does it cost to dive in a spring or state park usually?
:doctor:

State parksin Florida cost $5 to dive and you have to have a buddy, no solo diving. You can get a year long recreational pass for just over $40 that's good for all the state parks. You can do some shore diving at the state park in Panama City.

Other springs in Floria are privately owned and are @ $25 or a little more to dive them.

Vortex and Morisson Springs are 2 that I have personally been to. Actually I did my check outs in them last September. Don't have your hopes too high on seeing anything unless you are cave certified. They are pretty much good for "getting bottom time" and gaining basic confidence and experience under water. Of the two, I would recommend Vortex over Morrison for a new OW Diver. You can also do some nice diving in Panama City Beach and Destin/Ft Walton.

Vortex Springs
Morrison Springs

Hope this helps.

Tom

below_sea_level once bubbled...
Are there some good places in panama city and destin that you can do for really cheap. Like somewhere that you will not need a boat?:mean:

St Andrews State park in located in Panama City and you can shore dive there. Its $5 to dive. There are jetties there. Just watch out for fishing line. I haven't ever dived there, so I don't know if you need to plan this dive on the tides or not. I always went fishing there on vacation when I was little and there were always tons of divers there.

Here are some links to study. Click on the Dive Sites and/or Dive Trips buttons on these pages to get an idea of what their is to dive on and see. These wrecks and reefs will require a boat trip. Save your lunch money. If diving is something you want to enjoy, you'll need to take a boat out to some of these sites.
Dixie Divers Dive Shop

Hydrospace Dive Shop

Click on Activities on the RIGHT side of the page
St Andrews State Park

Tom

Forgive me for jumping onboard this post but am also intrested in this subject. and from the same area.
Can anyone tell us more about the shore diving in PC? Do we need our own tanks or are they available for rent? I note that the State Park web site shows the Concessions close after Labor Day.
Are they still dredging and if so does anyone know when they are planning to stop?
How late into the fall can you go befor the temps start to drop?
Anyone camped at the park?

I, personally, haven't done any diving in PC. That will change next month. I am planning on some sort of 2 tank boat trip, as well as a couple beach dives out of St Andrews State Park (assuming tides, vis, and dredging aren't affecting anything) the first weekend in October.
The best thing to do is call one of the local PC dive shops that I gave the links to above, and they should be able to answer your specific questions about a specific location or activity (such as the dredging), as well as water temps later in the year. As far as tanks are concerned, you can rent those from one of the local PC dive shops and take them to the park with you.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom