Flounders! Front Beach, Rockport, MA. Dive report Sat. 5/1/2010.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I messed up.... :D

As Gomer Pyle used to say in his simple, unguarded southern accent, "Surprise! Surprise!"

Or perhaps more applicable was Tim Conway's nordic impression, "Yumpin' Yiminy, I feel so STUUU-pid!" :wink:

Since it's early in the season with water temps in the 40's, I told ScubaBoarder DiverDMD that the prospects were slim for a successful hunt on our first dive together and for his first dive in the Northeast after a 20-year hiatus since diving for food in California.

His main quarry was lobster and my favorite dive site, Front Beach, humble and unassuming as it is, couldn't produce. It made up for it by coming through with numerous winter flounder and a wonderful dive day! But I'm clearly biased.... :D

On this perfectly calm, warm, sunny day, within the first few fin kicks, we began seeing winter flounder and were able to take 7 on the first dive! Most were 13 to 14 inches long, but a couple were 15 to 16 inches long!

Dive stats for #1: 23' max depth, 45F degrees, 10 to 25' vis (measured the 25' vis), and an 85 minute dive time, which was super considering my buddy was diving wet.

Less than a handful of lobsters were seen, and DiverDMD only had a chance to practice a couple catches, both being shorts, as expected.

During the surface interval, I realized I had only brought a small cooler, not expecting to get a pile of game. "Yumpin' Yiminy, I feel so STUUU-pid!" :D

Thankfully, my buddy was agreeable to a long surface interval while I filleted the flounder to be able to get them chilled down properly. That also allowed us to kill some time so we'd be close to high tide for the second dive. Front Beach is a wonderful place to kill time after all....

The second dive produced 4 more flounder and a couple more practice runs of catching short lobsters.

Dive stats for #2: 21' max depth, 47F degrees, 20-40' vis (measured 32' and 40' in a large area of clearer water). Dive time was 81 minutes.

After the second dive, we reflected on this great dive day. The dive conditions were excellent and the camaraderie with the other divers was fun, as a bunch of my old friends happened to show up to take advantage of the nice conditions. DiverDMD was a super buddy, too! ScubaBoard provides the best! :)

Being avid hunters, it was a special treat that we had taken more flounder than expected and my new buddy at least got a little practice catching lobsters.

To top it off, we also saw a few interesting sights, such as a lumpfish guarding a clutch of eggs, a very fat sea raven lying camouflaged on a rock, and a manic cormorant swimming by us twice! That's pretty rare!

During the long and relaxing surface interval, we shared some of the flounder fillets with the old man who resides next to the dive site and also with a couple of appreciative passersby who took interest.

I firmly believe that generosity makes things right with the gods of the bountiful and powerful sea.... :)

So, as usual, I effuse my fondness for this dive site. I just can't help myself....

Pics follow. You be the judge.

Dave C

A couple of these guys have been diving for over 40 years!
DSC06569_SB_1.jpg

Beautiful weather, great friends, new friends....
DSC06575_SB_2.jpg

It seemed like a very long walk at low tide....

DiverDMD was ready for his first dive in over 20 years!
P5011177_4.jpg

A real fat sea raven.
P5011181_SB_4a.jpg

A lumpfish faithfully guarding his eggs.
P5011184_SB_4b.jpg

DiverDMD getting some practice catching lobsters. No one saw any legal sized lobsters that day.
P5011197_SB_4c.jpg

A quick study on spearing flounder, too!
P5011204_SB_4d.jpg

Yours truly, dave4868, at the filleting station.
DSC06589_SB_5.jpg

I love the smell of flounder in the morning.... Smells like VICTORY! :rofl3:
DSC06591_6.jpg

After 20 years I was a little preoccupied in returning to diving in cold waters........ and with a buddy I had just met thru the internet......but......

IT WAS AWESOME!....:banana:

Dave is a great organizer and mentor which made me relaxed.........

and thus as soon as that 40 degree water entered my wetsuit and I took my first breath of air out of the reg. while descending...... I felt 24 years old again......:cool2:

wow, I was brought back to my youth......got excited in chasing the short lobsters and trying flounder spearing......I was back to my days in California.....but I digress.......

Thanks to Dave.......I now have re-found another hobby for me to love and for my wife to complain about.......:rofl3:

Hope to be diving with you again soon....

Paolo

Now, I'm jealous !! :wink:
Looks like you, and only you can spot so many flounders as I did not see a single one last week and this last Saturday.

You definitely look in great shape :D

Let's hope that nice weather will come back soon enough for us to dive again, and again and again !

Lotta love in this room! ScubaBoard really brings divers together! :D

The flounder just happened to come in that morning to give us a lucky break so early in the season! I'll likely get skunked next time out. :shakehead:

I'm really looking forward to my next dives with both of you together or singly. I have a feeling we'll all be sympatico.... :)

Dave C

Last edited:
I saw quite a few flounder at Magnolia on sunday. I didn't keep any but was able to simply pick up 3 of them. I never had that happen before. They usuallt take right off.

I saw quite a few flounder at Magnolia on sunday. I didn't keep any but was able to simply pick up 3 of them. I never had that happen before. They usuallt take right off.

Yeah, I think they were freezing their fins off and couldn't muster an escape.... Hardly fair! :wink:

Dave C

thanks for sharing Dave-----sounds like ya'll enjoyed the morning...

"A couple of these guys have been diving for over 40 years!"(posted above pic #1)---bet I can guess which 2---lol...

The flounder just happened to come in that morning to give us a lucky break so early in the season! I'll likely get skunked next time out. :shakehead:

well... if next dive is with me, you can always blame it on me and my bad luck :wink:
:crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom