Flower Garden trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NDH

Reaction score
Well guys it lived up to everything I had hope for. We left Freeport Wed. night and returned Fri. around 5:15. Very calm sea's 1-2 ft. Sunny Thur, overcast Fri.
This was my first trip out in the Gulf since I started diving 4yrs ago. My experience ranges from trips to Bonaire, Cabo, Cozumel, Playa, and Roatan. I ranked this diving better than Cabo and post hurricane Cozumel. Seven dives were completed two at west flower, one rig, two at east flower and two at stetson bank. There was very little current and vis was around 80-100ft. Fish life was good. Overall group sited a nurse and a couple of silky sharks, eagle ray, adult drum, multiple eel's, multiple barricuda's, lobsters, turtles and etc.
The Fling was friendly and fun to be on. Everyone dove within their limits and everyone made it back to the boat with no problems. Food was good and I gain 5lbs. I can see how it could be very difficult to board the boat during rough seas and currents so I do recommend that people should get AOW before going for safety reasons. I will be going back in 2008 for a good short trip. As soon as I figure out how to load some pics I'll post some.

Great report, NDH. Glad you had a fantastic time out there!
Now you see why so many of us are hooked on the FG. I'm so enamoured with it that I volunteer for the FGBNMS. Hope to see you out there sometime.

Thanks Guba
You will like some of the pics once I get them posted. What a treasure we have at our door step. I really thought it was not going to be as good as it is. I enjoyed every dive but I did favor Stetson and East over the West. And I commend the crew for making this trip fun so much that I have thought about starting my divemaster training.

Thanks for the trip report! Stetson is my all time favorite. I never really appreciated East Bank until last year during the Spawn trip. We did several dives on East Bank and I just fell in love. I think the Flower Gardens is a world class dive destination. The difficulty level varies with each trip but the currents, and variations of depth and conditions is what really brings in the best sea life. We are blessed with one of God's Treasures, right next door.

My sentiments exactly, Deb. I've been using my pix and video footage from out there all week (I'm a teacher), and it certainly does make me want to get back out there again. It also impresses the kids that something that special is so close to the Texas coast.
Capt. Ken and the crew of the Fling do a fantastic job, don't they? I always enjoy their professionalism and attitude.
While the conditions vary widely, it's just about always a great trip. Can't wait for my next one!

Thanks For the Report, Hope we have the same conditions, in two weeks, My first
F.G. or texas Gulf Diving .I'm looking foward to it, i have Dove Cozumel x5, Saba,St.Kitts Liveaboard, Fiji,Dry torgutas and Several of Texas mud holes., lakes.

Thanks for the trip report! Sounds like you had a great trip w/perfect weather. The Flower Garden is definitely on my "to do" list. Now, if I could only win the lottery, so we could quit this pesky thing called work...

In the meantime, NDH, I've posted a few FG pix in my gallery. I'm not a great photog, but I sure had fun getting them! Can't wait to see yours, too.

Hey NDH, Angie here. Glad to hear you had fun on the trip! I love it out there, and that is why I keep going back. We really had some great sea conditions as the majority of the time it was less than 1'. It was great to meet all of you and I hope you will return again soon!!! Everyone on the trip was a lot of fun!!!

Back
Top Bottom