Flower Gardens, Mv Fling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool man, I am out that way a lot for waterski club activities. I do most business off scuba toys and leisurepro

We went either right before or right after the spawn... would love to see it.
The later in the year you go the higher risk you are at of the waves being far too high--I think they auto cancel any trip where the average wave height is over 24 or 28 inches or something like that.
Honestly, above about 16-20 in and I'd probably be too sick to dive!

You mention your son... how old and how experienced a diver is he?
I went on this trip after 20 dives. I had done extra work in the pool and gotten several specialty cards beforehand but I'd say it's fairly aggressive to do Flower Gardens as a novice diver just because the ocean can be rough out there.

he is a new diver.. he is only 10. this year will be his first dive. we are actually looking for places to dive in florida for him.

i started a new post here Question About 10 Year Old Child Certification. he will be going to class this year so this will be a dive for later on. i am thinking in a couple years or so. but i think it will be a GREAT learning expedition for him. he's been wanting to dive since he was 5 but has had to wait.

The Fling's site has Q/As covering about everything you'll need to know in advance......+1 on the bumpy ride if the seas are up(hopefully you'll have 3 days of flat glass--:)).......but, put on a patch if you're prone to upchucking(one trip remember only 9 of us --out of 28 divers--made all 7 dives, ie it was RUFF.....

Use the down line as someone else stated & use the lines leading away from the floor(see pic)----also, hope you spot a couple of these wooley boogers(& remember to look ALL around---ie--the 7 other divers to the front & left side of the manta NEVER saw it!).......Good luck ......

Flower Gardens--2014 manta and divers--cropped by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr

PS, be sure & bring a couple(extra)clothes pins to clip your towel on a rail with(so it will dry out..)...

Last edited:
@Is_907 - did lone star go out of business over in cowtown?
Lone Star is still around. They closed their Dallas shop though.

Anyone have input on pre-spill vs post-spill flower gardens? Was talking to a diver today and she mentioned that her husband has been over 50 times. Word is that it's not quite what it used to be (not that it's not still great).

I am not sure when the oil spill was, but I went twice in 2014, and the diving was phenomenal

My first trip there, I got 15 feet away from a hammerhead, and the second trip there I git 10 feet away from a Manta Ray...

Coincidentally both dives were the first dive of the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom