Flying after Altitude Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMike14

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, here's one for ya: Granted we all know that you are not supposed to fly for 12-18 hours after diving due to Nitrogen, DCS, etc. But I think most people assume this is flying after diving at Sea Level. What if you live in an area like me (Colorado) where most of the diving I do is between 6000 and 10000 feet. Since you (I) am already that much above sea level, do the same no fly rules apply?

short answer yes.
you may even be required a longer interval between diving and flying. I am not entirely sure about the altitude diving theory...it has been many long months since the class and my computer adjusts everything automagically for me now.

Yes, the same don't fly rules apply; you can see it right there in the tables.

And, every LDS in Colorado offers a Diving at Altitude course - take it.

Diving at Altitude

I know that the local shops give an altitude course and no, I have not taken one. I usually just add 10 feet to my depth and subtract 10 minutes from my max bottom time for each dive. Call me what you will, but I am pretty sure that I am safe that way. I was more interested in what people thought about gas exchange, etc. Perhaps this is a question of a technical nature that would be better adressed by DAN. The reason I haven't taken the course is because you have to drive 8 hours from Colorado Springs to get to a dive site deeper than 30 feet to finish the class.

First off, you should take the course. Don't worry about the dives, just take the classroom portion. At least that way you'll understand altitude diving a little better and be able to adjust your dives by the tables. As for flying after diving, the same rules apply. Not because it's necessary, but because studies haven't been conducted, so better conservative than sorry. I also live at altitude (not quite as high as you do) and drive to lower elevations to dive, but still altitude dives. According to the "rules", I still have to calculate my starting pressure group upon arrival and begin my offgassing before I even dive! Again, the reason is lack of studies.

I've done the course. I've studied the materials (what little there is to study)

If I dive at 10,000ft, and treat a 50 foot dive as an 75' dive, the bottom line is that I still have the pressure of the water, and I still come up at 10,000ft which is well above the cabin pressure of 8,000 ft in a plane. Granted I live at 9,000ft so I don't have to adjust my pressure before the dive. I guess that is the major jist of it... You are at a lower pressure to begin with, and your body has adusted to that pressure, then once you come back up to the lower pressure your body will not off gas at an increased level?

IMO this all is not very clear, and in reality, there has been very little testing done on people diving at altitude.

Fortunately there is a LOT of divers that drive from Denver (5280') to the HOLE (4700'), dive their tails off, and then cross a 7,200ft pass without issue on the way back home. In my case, at the end of a Blue Hole trip, I end up at 9'000ft which is whre I live.

I think what the no dive to fly thing stresses is that you start at sea level, dive, end up back at sea level, and then jump to 8'000 feet cabin pressure. So you body jumps from presure group X to pressure group Y quickly as your body started at pressure group Z. (note: I'm using variable names for undefined variables, not actualy pressure groups based on the RDP).

In fact I'm not sure I, OR ANYONE really understands exactly how altitude impacts DCS in diving other than to say, it can be a bad thing.

Hey everyone, thanks for the "lesson" and explanation. Just my luck, my wife who is in the Army got orders today for....(drum roll) Tampa, FL. So there is no need for the altitude couse after all. (At least for now).

Thanks for the quickie lesson Ron, it did help.

Mike Rushton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom