Flying with dive equipment tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firemaneast

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
It's my first time flying from New York to Florida with my gear tomorow and I'm looking for some suggestions with packing my regulator. My dive computer is going on my carry on and the rest of my gear is packed in a separate soft duffle. I'm flying southwest not sure if the airline has any special procedures. Any info would be a great help. I'm renting a tank and weights

Have fun on your trip. Most people carry on computer and regs if you do just be ready they'll pull that bag and open it up to see what the reg is. I check on all my gear but most peoiple don't.

I carry my reg on. and when going through security, I take it out and put it in a separate plastic bin, seems to save time in my experience.

I think it basically comes down to if you get a TSA agent on the scanner that knows what a regulator is, they will let it go while if they don't know what it is, they will want to check it out before letting it go.

Sounds like you'll be fine. As suggested, I carry all of my fragile and most-likely-to-disappear stuff in a backpack and usually check fins, BC, wetsuit and things prohibited in the cabin. Never had a problem. Wish I were going on a diving trip tomorrow. Have a great time.

I always check my gear. This has burned me once when my flight was cancelled and I ended up on one flight (to a different airport) and my gear on another to the original airport. I rented for the evening and dove my gear the rest of the week after it arrived at my hotel that night.

Reactions: Doc
I've never had any problems until my last trip. I had everything except fins in my carry-on. Got inspected but it was because I forget I had bug spray in the bag!

If I were you I'd see if you can fit the regulator in your carry-on as well. I've never once been asked to open my bag up and show them it's a regulator. I just usually tell them I have dive equipment coming thru and it's never slowed them or me up. And it's a good chance since you are flying into Florida, they see this gear all the time and it won't be an issue at all.

Carry on in a small hardsided box that I bought at a sporting goods store. It contains regs, camera and computer, all nicely padded.

I have a Akona regulator bag. I carry that on; it'll contain my reg, computer(s), and maybe small lights. For the rest, I got a plastic trunk from a local sporting goods store and pack BPW, mask, fins, etc. Southwest is nice because the second bag flies free. If you go this route, make sure that the trunk you get is small enough to not get you charged for oversize baggage.

+1 for camera, reg, computer in carry on and all else checked. But, in the past I have checked it all and it was fine.

Back
Top Bottom