Focus light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Normally you would need to use a focus light only when its very dark or when diving at night , you dont really need a bright light unless you do video shooting so the SOLA may be too much and it is quite expensive. Of course the SOLA would be a great video light.

If focus is your only problem , I would recommend the Nano focus light as well , its very cheap and will do the job perfectly. And of course it will turn itself off when the flash fires which is a great advantage.

I don't know where you are, but where Fota and I mainly dive (west coast of Sweden) lights like the Nano are useless, even in the daytime. Believe me, we've tried most of them between us. That's why I bought the Fisheye Fix LED500. I put my Nano on e-bay after two dives.

Do you not use your focus light because of battery burn or because you don't shoot in conditions that require you to use a focus light?

Hi Graham,

Bit of both really. Actually I used the focus light on one strobe last Sunday on my first dive as I was photographing a very small nudibranch around 1cm in length and it was very well camouflaged.

My buddy Vanji spotted it using a torch and it was almost impossible to see without a light on it.

I had left my Nano at home (damn screw keeps coming loose and I have been meaning to put a bit of loctite on it to stop this).

Briefly for half a dozen shots I used the focus light on the left hand strobe.

Half way through my second dive the left hand strobe re-cycle time was almost double that of the right hand strobe. This was my fourth dive with the same alkaline batteries.

Now where's that loctite?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom