Fog Prevention - Gull Vader

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JB69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! Newly minted Open Water diver here and I'm so glad I took up this sport because I love it!

Like to know how you guys treat your mask aside from using reef-safe anti fog or baby shampoo before each dive. I read on multiple sources and even from a few instructors that you should burn the inside of your mask. But I'm pretty apprehensive of putting the flame anywhere close to the rubber parts.

So I chanced upon a video that says you can take apart the frame to clean dry it after each dive trip and I thought maybe I should do that.

Should I do that, will I face any problems with the seal in my dive? Is it really safe to burn whether or not I remove the frame?

I rinse it in fresh water. Every once in a while I will add a bit of bleach. I carry a spare mask and every few dives I will see a bit of mold in the edges. I take it apart and clean it good. However, I try not to do that any more than I have to. We are talking plastic and plastic is prone to fatigue over time. Even good plastic. At least that is my opinion.

Hi! Newly minted Open Water diver here and I'm so glad I took up this sport because I love it!

Like to know how you guys treat your mask aside from using reef-safe anti fog or baby shampoo before each dive. I read on multiple sources and even from a few instructors that you should burn the inside of your mask. But I'm pretty apprehensive of putting the flame anywhere close to the rubber parts.

So I chanced upon a video that says you can take apart the frame to clean dry it after each dive trip and I thought maybe I should do that.

Should I do that, will I face any problems with the seal in my dive? Is it really safe to burn whether or not I remove the frame?

I was hesitant about using the flame method so I took basic non-whitening toothpaste (simple fluoride), no baking soda or additives, and scrubbed away at it with a new toothbrush. I scrubbed for a while until it fogged minimally when I huffed and puffed my breath onto it. Works like a charm. All I do now is a little bit of anti-fog right before dive on the mask, quick rinse, and pop it on. Fog free the entire dive.

I rinse it in fresh water. Every once in a while I will add a bit of bleach. I carry a spare mask and every few dives I will see a bit of mold in the edges. I take it apart and clean it good. However, I try not to do that any more than I have to. We are talking plastic and plastic is prone to fatigue over time. Even good plastic. At least that is my opinion.
Right that is true - remove only when needed. I guess removing once now for the purpose of prepping the lens is ok.

I was hesitant about using the flame method so I took basic non-whitening toothpaste (simple fluoride), no baking soda or additives, and scrubbed away at it with a new toothbrush. I scrubbed for a while until it fogged minimally when I huffed and puffed my breath onto it. Works like a charm. All I do now is a little bit of anti-fog right before dive on the mask, quick rinse, and pop it on. Fog free the entire dive.
This is good! I'll try your method and take some before and after photos to share. ^^ thanks!

Any other methods or comments are welcome!!

Burn gently with lighter, not a big deal actually, just do not overheat and easy near silicone/rubber parts. Toothpaste afterwards. Before dive - baby shampoo or simple spit. No need to disassemble your mask. Btw, are you sure you'll be able to assemble it back in one piece ;-)

Burn gently with lighter, not a big deal actually, just do not overheat and easy near silicone/rubber parts. Toothpaste afterwards. Before dive - baby shampoo or simple spit.
I've actually tried the spit but it didn't last quite well. I've also tried the baby shampoo and it was much more lasting within each dive. I tend to flush my mask once it gets a bit of fog so that's why it doesn't last the dive.

Looks like toothpaste has its charm on anti fog prepping!

I'll probably remove the frame of my mask and try the toothbrush on the lens first.

If I feel up to it I'll probably use the regular lighter to burn the protective film. I assume "burn gently" means to not use those wind-resistant lighters; and also to keep moving so the heat is not concentrated on one spot at a time) But as a guideline for my first time doing it, how long should I keep moving across the lens? And how do I know the film has been burned off?

While dive try not to exhale through your nose too much, this is what create fog in most cases.

About burning - yeah, move lighter constantly, don't keep on one spot for too long. I believe film is burning easy, so no need to heat it strong. You could repeat the process many times until you'll be happy. And do not use toothbrush, just your fingers.

There're some videos on Youtube. Actually you could see how film melts. It's all easy, just don't go crazy, use your common sense and all be good. Congratulations on your OW btw!

When new I used toothpaste. Note that I have a prescription mask. Not sure if the lens have the same hardness as a regular lens and do not want to heat them.

While dive try not to exhale through your nose too much, this is what create fog in most cases.

About burning - yeah, move lighter constantly, don't keep on one spot for too long. I believe film is burning easy, so no need to heat it strong. You could repeat the process many times until you'll be happy. And do not use toothbrush, just your fingers.

There're some videos on Youtube. Actually you could see how film melts. It's all easy, just don't go crazy, use your common sense and all be good. Congratulations on your OW btw!

I was thinking of using one of those mega-soft baby tooth brushes but I guess finger works as well.

Update: I will,
- Remove frame to prep the lens to the edge (and avoid affecting the silicone/rubber parts)
- Finger-rub lens with non-whitening (simple fluoride) toothpaste
- Regular lighter (non-windproof) with constant movements to avoid concentrated heat for no longer than needed to burn off remaining protective film

Before-after photos soon to come this weekend! Otherwise, all comments more than welcome! :D

When new I used toothpaste. Note that I have a prescription mask. Not sure if the lens have the same hardness as a regular lens and do not want to heat them.

FYI: You do NOT have to prep an Rx mask. The glass is prepped during manufacture. Confirmed by Prescription Dive Masks, and Seavision. Serves no purpose.

Back
Top Bottom