Fog Prevention - Gull Vader

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI: You do NOT have to prep an Rx mask. The glass is prepped during manufacture. Confirmed by Prescription Dive Masks, and Seavision. Serves no purpose.
Hi there. A quick Google to understand what exactly is an Rx mask. Seems like you're referring to are Prescriptions Dive masks. Does it apply to regular masks?

And by "prepped" during manufacture, what exactly is prepped during manufacture? What I hear is that this plastic protective film is part of the prep before shipping out the masks. So you can see why I seek clarity in the details.

When you get a prescription mask made up by either of the two manufacturers: Seavision or Prescription Dive Masks, neither requires you to prep (toothpaste, flamethrower, etc) the lenses.

In the case of PDM, they remove the existing lenses from the mask, clean them then bond an Rx lens onto the existing lens.

Seavision grinds the actual lens to conform to the Rx.

In both cases, you can safely assume them to be "ready for use".

I'm not aware of any plastic films. What are you talking about here?

The reason for cleaning a mask is to get rid of the silicone which leaches from the skirt onto the lens between manufacture and purchase.

Last edited:
On my mask the part of the frame that clips in and holds the lens is plastic.

We also have a mask cleaning video on our website. The lighter method works well. I would strongly discourage you from disassembly of mask and removal of lens. May be very difficult to get back in and sealed up.

I choose never to remove a lens from a mask. Almost every time I do so it always seems to end badly. It can be done but you need to know what you’re doing and you have to have to be uber careful. I’ve broken two already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom