Foley's Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Bill, Mike and me dove Foley's today. We wanted to do Cathedral Rock but wind and waves made us decide to wait for a better day. Foley's is getting harder to get into since all the sand has washed away from the beach area leaving "ankle turners" rocks exposed. Easy enough to get down to the water but all three of us fell getting in. Almost felt bad for Mike and Bill in their doubles:D They both landed on their backs in the shallows and had a bit of a problem working themselves out to deeper water. I hate to admit I enjoyed the show. Proved to me once again that I will never be seen in doubles for a shore dive! We went left to the wall and followed it out to the point. Vis was terrible at about 5 feet. Water temps were 40-41 and we hit 47 feet out by the point. Fingers were totally numb by the time we got back to shore after about 49 minutes in the water. Lots of sand dollars still in the area, some small starfish and green urchins. There was a hatching of some type of fish with millions of very tiny fish only millimeters long. They formed clouds in the water there were so many of them. Wind whipping off the ocean made getting out of my wetsuit interesting as usual. Take me another week to get over the windburn. But at least I'm back in the water. Pray for warm weather!

Wetsuit?!?! You, sir, have my respect. I accompanied my brother-in-law today to Niles Beach where he was completing his OW checkout dives - in a drysuit. I went along to put my own new USIA drysuit through its paces. Saw the same hatch you mentioned. Viz was 3 feet if that and water temp was 39 degrees. My USIA Techniflex was a joy, but that's with a layer of poly underwear, a 200 gram Tilos one piece that I bought from Divesports Tilos Dry Suit Underwear, and a 20 oz. USIA Exotherm III undergarment. Wetsuit? Not for me any time soon!!

I'm glad to hear about Folly...I will be heading there Wednesday with my brother (him in a wetsuit). Can't wait to get back into our cool water after doing some diving down in Cave Country this winter.

Tim,

I did one of my Adv Deco/Nitrox dives at Folly w/ Ed K. It was to practice deploying SMBs, Lift Bags, skills.. Yes, getting in w/ doubles and even worse, climbing up to get out sucked.. I vowed at that point never again in doubles. Only on boats! I can't imagine they do Cat rocks in doubles! I am chomping on bit to get out. I'll probably wait till get back from Bonaire (1st week of May) before get out.

Doing Cat in doubles is a death wish imho. Climbing up that cliff with a single is a pain enough. Adding another tank to it, while having to hop scotch up the cliff? wow. I worry that might be a little too much post dive exertion and may cause some serious issues(other than a broken ankle/leg)

There was a hatching of some type of fish with millions of very tiny fish only millimeters long. They formed clouds in the water there were so many of them.

Probably shrimp... we had a similar experience this weekend scallop diving in 34 degree water. When you got into pockets of the shrimp our vis went from 5 feet to 1 foot.

the easiest way of getting in Folly by foot is to use old ski poles with the points dulled down. Did that last year worked great until someone took the poles. So the way out was very tricky. Here's what I would do next time. Two poles for leverage. Small bouy so that you can leave the poles in the shallow water and a five pound weight to anchor the whole thing. Real easy to use.

the easiest way of getting in Folly by foot is to use old ski poles with the points dulled down. Did that last year worked great until someone took the poles. So the way out was very tricky. Here's what I would do next time. Two poles for leverage. Small bouy so that you can leave the poles in the shallow water and a five pound weight to anchor the whole thing. Real easy to use.

Great idea to use ski poles at Folly Cove! Folly's "greased bowling balls" make a horrible entry, especially at low tide.

With a cap over the tines, I've been using my 3' flounder spear like a cane, but ski poles would work even better.

Thanks! :)

Dave C

I've been diving folly all winter (dry). I've got to hand it to you guys getting out this early in wetsuits, you've got more balls than me (assuming you can find them after shrinkage). The ankle turners really aren't that bad at high tide, and the best route is right around the middle of the beach.

Stay warm.

you could use ski poles and clip them off to properly stow them afterwards...

HAH!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom