Following Line in Large Passages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeb

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a question regarding how close you guys stay to the mainline in the bigger passages (eg Bone Line at Ginnie).

I really want to explore all of these bigger rooms / areas, rather than just swimming along close to the main line and only seeing a small portion of the cave. But then I wonder, how far into the center of the passage (away from the main line), do I feel comfortable with going. And if there is a point where it is too far, how could I manage this. I'm thinking I could run a reel parallel to the mainline, maybe down the middle or against the opposite wall.

How do you guys handle these areas? How far away are you comfortable going off the mainline in a large passage like this? I know this is subjective and personal comfort depending.

My gut and my training is telling me to run my own line. But I wanted to know what others were doing to explore in these type of passages. Maybe there is something I am not thinking of!

Thanks!

Depends on how easily you can see the line, and the chances that vis will go bad.

Like when I wanted to explore the far wall of the Bone Line I ran my own line. The line can be hard to see in that room, and there is silt potential.

My gut and my training is telling me to run my own line.
Your instincts are correct.
While you may can see the Bone Line from 40-50 feet away in normal conditions, those conditions can deteriorate in a matter of seconds. Run your own line directly from the main Bone Room line (Tee-it) and do a methodical exploration of the other side of that room for yourself.

When I first learned to cave dive I was always right on the line. When I took an advanced class with Edd he questioned why I didn’t enjoy the dive more by looking around instead of sticking hard near the line. His philosophy is you should never be far enough away you can’t instantly turn your light to the line and immediately see it but not so stuck on the line you can’t look around. It’s what I’ve adopted and it works. You’ll figure it out as you do it. I’m still near the line but I was basically initially taught stay so close to the line one kick and you’re back on it. There’s a fine line between safety and being overly cautious so that it negates the whole reason you’re in the cave (to enjoy the cave).
I was also initially taught all divers in a single file line. In reality I greatly prefer and believe it’s safer to have a stacked team (in formation around the line) because it gives you better visibility if your surroundings and buddies.

As others have said, run a line and explore. So much cool stuff to see that a lot of folks have no clue is even there.

It depends.

The team, how much gas we have, the likelihood of silt out, familiarity with the cave, etc.

If I’ve never been in the passage, I’m likely on the line because I want to know the line well. Been there a bajillion times and I’m diving with a solid buddy? I might be on the other wall lighting the whole passage for us.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom