Food around Phi Phi Island Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Susie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all you smart people.
Does anyone know if there are places to eat around Phi Phi Island Resort? Is the food at the resort any good? We are trying to decide to either go with the meal plan they provide or take our chances at nearby places? Any thoughts?
How far away are the nearby places?
Thanks y'all
Susie

Never been to Phi Phi but I am seriously addicted to Thai food. I don't think you can go wrong eating at the nearby places. Experiment, enjoy. I have eaten at some very questionable looking stands, carts, eateries in Thailand and didn't get sick once.

Er.. if you're wondering whether you can get a Carl's Jr or McDonald's on Phi Phi... think again.. :)

Phi Phi is a small island.. you can walk from one end of the beach to the other in less than 15 mins. Thai food is cheap and plentiful. There are some western places if you miss a good olde burger. But scratch fine dining and don't expect a chicken fricasse with garlic mash infused with white truffles or pan-seared tuna served with a sesame-citrus wild rocket salad.

Scuba Susie:
Hey all you smart people.
Does anyone know if there are places to eat around Phi Phi Island Resort? Is the food at the resort any good? We are trying to decide to either go with the meal plan they provide or take our chances at nearby places? Any thoughts?
How far away are the nearby places?
Thanks y'all
Susie

Susie, is the full name of your hotel Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort and Spa? If so, the hotel is actually on the north-easterly side of the island, not especially close to the village, in relative terms. It's actually somewhat isolated with a whole beautiful beach virtually to itself. What little walking I've done on Phi Phi (pre-tsunami) doesn't incline me to think you'll find a nice walking path leading from the resort to the village. And if there is one, it's not likely to be lighted at night.

This means that to get to the village, you will probably want to hire a long-tail boat (the local equivalent of a tuk-tuk or taxi) to travel between the resort and village. Don't worry, it's not expensive, and it may even cost less altogether to eat in the village and pay for the boat than to eat an a-la-carte meal at the resort.

If it were me, I'd get an option with breakfast and play it by ear for dinner. After all, you can always opt to eat at one of the resort restaurants if you choose. Another consideration, if it matters at all to you, is whether the full-board option allows you to eat at *any* of the food outlets of the resort and order off the menu, or only at a specific buffet-style restaurant.

Hope this helps (without making any assumption that you even *like* burgers).

Had forgotten there were those out of town resort areas away from the central part of Phi Phi. I'll bet they fared much better than the businesses and homes in the main part of town (the saddle between the two peaks).

Pre-tsunami there were so many great places to eat on Phi Phi. I'd recommend some of the smaller family owned restaurants where a good meal could be had in 2001 for $1-2. Don't know how many of those had been rebuilt. I found plenty of places serving good food when I visited, but I was in the central part of the village with plenty of choices.

Thanks to not all of you assuming I was some camera toting, sock and sandal wearing, judgemental and only wanting my American burgers, kinda traveler!
(Although the pan seared ahi did sound good!)(and I think fast food is EVIL)

I am staying on the little half moon bay that Quero was speaking of. Far from the saddle...I think. That is why I was asking if it was wise to plan on a trek everyday for dinner. The longtails sound fun too. I think we might option for the breakfasts and see what, if anything, is availabe around the resort. I actually prefer the mom and pop stands while traveling!

Thanks again and am open for more suggestions
Susie
as long as it isn't Thailands version of Kentucky Fried Chicken :)

Scuba Susie:
Thanks to not all of you assuming I was some camera toting, sock and sandal wearing, judgemental and only wanting my American burgers, kinda traveler!
(Although the pan seared ahi did sound good!)(and I think fast food is EVIL)

Bummer - "camera-toting" is a bad thing? :wink: I was planning on camera-totin' pretty much everywhere...:D. However, I have never *once* worn socks with sandals, nor do I plan on eating burgers while in Thailand and although I don't find fast food to be necessarily EVIL (er..sometimes I need food while I'm on the run...and it's...well....fast!), if I go to an American fast food franchise while in Thailand, I'll have to be dragged there by my thumbs and all other eateries in the area will either have to be closed or too disgustingly repulsive to run the risk - let's just say that it's *highly* unlikely :wink:.

But I gots to have my camera...first time to SE Asia and all..please tell me that I won't be uncouth... :D

Nothing wrong with a good burger now and then... after 3 weeks of thai salads, my body just caved in and plunged into a cheeseburger with bacon and fries drowned in ketchup. The beach resort should be able to your every need. Tho for some colour and cheap beer, do make your way down to Ton Sai and hang out with the crowd.

Sadies Mom - Ah, but there are some great burgers to be had in Patong! There's a Tex Mex place not far from my office doing things like Guacamole Burgers and Cowboy Burgers. As a resident, but still with a western stomach, you need something like that now and then.

There aren't many nearby places. We recently spent a night at Phi Phi Natural Resort and there was only one restaurant nearby but it certainly was not worth opting out of the all-inclusive option. The breakfast at the resort was delicious; the dinner at the nearby restaurant was good but not likely any better than the food at the resort. The main town area of Phi Phi has not been rebuilt since the tsunami like other places (Phuket) so don't expect lots of food choices. We spent our honeymoon on Bora Bora thinking it would be better to eat out each night but in reality we only found one restaurant that was really good and worth visiting on more than one occasion (after trying several dogs). My point is if you're going to be in a very remote area you might be better off paying for the meal plan at the local restaurant/resort. You can always take your chances and eat out once or twice somewhere else without spending a lot of money. Depending on the length of your stay you might be disappointed if you're counting on those other options every night and you find they're unavailable. Food in Thailand is generally excellent everywhere and inexpensive as well (unlike Bora Bora which tends to be pricy). But you'll probably save some money by paying in advance for the meal plan instead of being disappointed after you arrive and find there are not many options. We went that route on Seychelles (the meal plan) and we weren't disappointed. That's another island where you don't have many options (none nearby actually). Normally I like eating at a variety of places to experience the local environment but in some of these remote islands you really need to think about the main reason you're visiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom