Foot Pain Climbing Up The Ladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Quixote

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Switched to full-foot fins some time ago and really prefer it over the open-heel fins. The only problem is when climbing up ladders that have round instead of flat-top steps. It is very painful to the sole. I wear only fin socks when using the full-foot fins. Are there fin socks with hard soles? Or, does anyone know how to prevent foot pain climbing the ladder with just fin socks? Thanks.

- Don Quixote

I thought the different between booties and fin socks was the hard sole? You might want to try going into a large dive shop and seeing if they have any booties that would work. Not sure that they will as they will be thicker than socks. I have ankle booties that are thinner than the hefty boots so you never know. I'm curious though. Why do you prefer full fin over open-heel?

I thought the different between booties and fin socks was the hard sole? You might want to try going into a large diveT shop and seeing if they have any booties that would work. Not sure that they will as they will be thicker than socks. I have ankle booties that are thinner than the hefty boots so you never know. I'm curious though. Why do you prefer full fin over open-heel?

Thanks for the response. I felt my full fins propel better and is easier to maneuver. But my full fins and open-heels are very different in design and size. So, it is not really a full fins vs. open-heel thing, not really apple to apple.

- Don

Not a great solution but have you considered clipping some "swim shoes" to your kit and putting them on when you remove your fins? That's about as close as I've heard for hard soled "socks". The surfing booties/socks may be a little better than plain neoprene socks but not quite a full sole, so that may be an option as well. (I've honestly never used them so I don't know for sure if there's any "hardness" to the sole.)

Back
Top Bottom