For D-series lovers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3rd line too.....too bad I've rid myself of all D/AIR 1/Pilot regs.

@northernone Please check you PMs.

3rd line too.....too bad I've rid myself of all D/AIR 1/Pilot regs.

@northernone Please check you PMs.

Couv,
If you miss 'em, I'll send you two (or three, or four!). :happywave:Just finished tuning a bunch (with the OEM seats).

I ll agree I think the d 400 is in the top 3 breathing regs ,,,,,ill never sell my d seris

I also tried to make some DIY seats for D series regs. One trick I used to successfully make the "doughnut" is to use a piece of brass tubing (available at RC Model airplane shops) in a drill press. Chuck up a short piece of the correct size tubing for the I. D. first. Turn on the drill press and with a file, dress the tubing to a sharp edge. With some rubber lubricant, slowly push the spinning tube through the rubber. Leaving the rubber secured in place, insert a short piece of the correct size tubing in the drill press for the O. D. Sharpen the edge as with the ID tube, and slowly push the spinning tube through the rubber. If done carefully, the center hole should be concentric with the O. D. This process will also minimize the compression and bulging you get when using the punches. Use a piece of soft wood such as pine on the drill press table. Also FYI I've attached a .pdf which describes SP's poppet patent.

TJ Moran

Attachments

• Poppet US 5533543 Patent.pdf
    440.5 KB · Views: 309
Count me impressed!

Forgot to mention 2 items of note: (1.) The rubber mentioned in the patent for the molded seat is Dow Corning Silastic LCS 755; and (2.) The patent also mentions an agent for bonding the seat to the substrate is Lord Chemical Products Chemlock adhesive No. Y1540. This bonding agent or something like it may help in attaching the metal washer to the rubber seat.
TJ Moran

Forgot to mention 2 items of note: (1.) The rubber mentioned in the patent for the molded seat is Dow Corning Silastic LCS 755; and (2.) The patent also mentions an agent for bonding the seat to the substrate is Lord Chemical Products Chemlock adhesive No. Y1540. This bonding agent or something like it may help in attaching the metal washer to the rubber seat.
TJ Moran

And uses what the shore/Duro for LCS 755 turns out to be? I have trouble getting a good seal with harder duro.

Silastic LCS 755 (LCS stands for low compression set - which is good) has a Duro Shore A reading of 55. From what I could get out of the internet, it is also translucent. All the seats I have seen are black rubber, so maybe the seat compound was changed at a later date, and this change is not reflected in the patent copy I have ? ?

TJ Moran

Attachments

• Dow Corning SILASTIC.docx
    14.2 KB · Views: 305

Back
Top Bottom