for the metric impaired

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey:
one, two, three (no four), ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, (no fourteen) twenty...

Or did you mean base five?

Roak

I meant base four, but the details are hazy, all I know is that I met a guy there that was 624 years old! which would make him aboyt 312 in dog years.

There is a nice set of values for sea water density on
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/EdwardLaValley.shtml

and then you can use the formula
height water column (m) = 101325.01/(density x 9.8).

Just don't forget if you want to go deeper you need to compensate for depth and temperature.

cancun mark:
I meant base four, but the details are hazy, all I know is that I met a guy there that was 624 years old! which would make him aboyt 312 in dog years.
If his age was base four, he could not have the digits 6 and 4 in his age.

Sorry, I'm a computer weenie, and do base-n stuff all the time :)

Roak

V-Erthal:
Thanks Jim,
I was starting to believe i was wrong...

Nah, just pulling your chain a little. :wink:

Of course I could point out that because the salinity of the ocean is not a constant, and can vary based on where a sample is taken. Any unit of measure that is said to be completely correct for stating the density of sea water can be proven wrong. But that would be silly and a waste of time.

Mr Mares:
The sooner the world goes metric the better :wink:

That will be the day that we, in the U.S., start driving on the wrong side of the road and the steering wheels will be on the passenger side. Cops will make more money for the state since most everyone will be doing 60 on a 35 :eyebrow:

roakey:
one, two, three (no four), ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, (no fourteen) twenty...

Or did you mean base five?

Roak

He didn't seem to mean either one or at least didn't explain the meaning. LOL

Base 4 would be 0, 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 20

However...10 base 4 = 4 base 10 because...the least significant digit is 4 to the 0 power and the second is 4 to the 1st, the third 4 to the 2nd and so on.

I've never actually seen base 4 used though only bas 2, 10 and 16.

I dive in East Timor, using the metric system, and am dreading diving in the US again using the Imperial system. Calculations for everything are so much easier in metric. Why doesn't the dive industry switch to metric in the US, then they would be using the same system as the rest of the world?

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom