for you writers in the crowd...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyDuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
ok, guys. some of you are very good writers, putting the reader right beside you.

this thread is for you to give a great description of some aspect of your fairly usual dives so we feel like we're there. i mean, maybe i know diving fl caves, but have no idea about deco dives to see cloud sponges in the pnw - or the opposite. you can describe the whole day, a vivid five minutes, half of a dive, whatever. just go for the five senses and tell me about your diving.

Well, I don't know if I would call this a "usual" dive for me, but given I do very few (planned) deco dives, I guess it maybe counts. It also happens to be the best dive of my life (so far). Here is my recollections (warts and all):-

Friday, 21 January -- After the better part of a week on the Truk Odyssey, this morning is going to be our deepst dive of the week, on the wreck of the San Francisco Maru. After a week of the usual light bragging that seems to occur in any large group of experienced divers, this morning is strangely quiet on board, and during the dive briefing everyone is absolutely silent. The divers are broken up into three groups: the trained technical divers will splash first, and left to get on with it, save that they have to plan their dives with a maximum runtime of 75 minutes. Although we will not be led or in a group, a Chuukese guide will sit on top of the superstructure at 145 feet keeping an eye out for anything going wrong. The less trained/experienced divers have to stay shallow and within monitored groups, although everyone expects to go into deco.

After spending an age fiddling with planning software, I had decided to carry two stage bottles: one with 64% and one with 30% (the latter really just for emergencies). Oxygen is eye wateringly expensive on the Odyssey if you want anything richer than 30% off the membrane system. Everyone is using 24% as a backgas, even though it would put us at 1.6 ATA at the planned maximum. I run two plans: one for 180 feet at 20 minutes, and a second for 25 minutes as a contingency, and transcribe both plans onto my slate.

Once we are moored up alongside the wreck, everyone gears up, tests all their regulators and gauges, and then shuffles in an ungainly way to the back of the boat, down to the dive platform. As a last minute imulse I decide to take my camera. It is only rated to 130 feet, but on of the Swedish divers with the same model says he has taken his to 165 feet without problems. I decide for a once in a lifetime dive, I will risk it. One by one we splash, and once all of us are in the water, we descend rapidly down the mooring line.

Although we are not buddied up, I have agreed with Ronan, an Irish diver, that we will each keep an eye on the other. Neither one of us has a huge number of dives this deep, and you never know. Once we reach the deck, the narcosis does not feel as bad as I would normally expect it to feel at this depth. I wonder to myself if the extra oxygen in the mix has taken the edge of the narcosis? Check all my gauges - everything feels good. At this precise moment, the time and expense of getting technical certifications appears superb value for money in my slightly euphoric state.

The star attraction of the San Francisco Maru is the tanks on the bow deck, but I figure that everyone will head there first, so I resolve to leave them until later. In the second cargo hold lies jeeps, mines and 500 lb bombs, so I plan to drop in there first, and get the deepest part of my dive over first. I drop in and photograph the mines. Although I later have no recollection of this, I also photograph the bombs. As I am taking pictures I am slowly descending and an ominous crack comes from my camera. I ascend a few feet and check it - all looks good. Must have just been the pressure squeezing the plastic casing. I check my gauges - arrgghhh! Maximum depth dropped to 187 feet! Dive plan blown already! I decide to leave the hold and spend the rest of the dive on deck, at a comparitively shallow 165 feet. I only broke my floor for 30 seconds or so, so I am not worried. Am slightly pleased to see Ronan looking over to make sure I came out of the hold when I get out.

Lots of people still crowded around those tanks, so I decide to set off for the bow gun. It is extremely impressive - much less coral growth than I am used to seeing on the shallower wrecks. I snap a few photographs of it, and then head back towards the tanks. Whilst swimming back I see Steve, a BSAC instructor from Dubai, and his wife Angela - but they are in group two...? How long have I been down? Just 11 minutes. Second group must have been much quicker getting in. I take a picture of Steve and Angela because I know they don't have a camera and then I make my way to the tanks, which are finally reasonably clear of divers.

Ronan is by one of the tanks, and I take a photogaph of him next to the turret and then he returns the favour. Then I snap off a few more shots before any of the divers from the third group arrive. Then I check my watch again. I have been down 15 minutes, and I am not quite sure what to do next. I have seen all the things I had made a note that I wanted to make sure I saw, but I don't want to waste my remaining 5 minutes of runtime.

I look across to the superstructure. It looks wide open. I had promised myself I would not penetrate, but the structure looks pretty unrestrictive and with an abundance of natural light. I decide to swim through the area just below the bridge before I start my ascent. I swim through and spot the usual military paraphanelia that one sees on so many Truk Lagoon wrecks. I pop out the far side without difficult and circle back to the main mast. There Ronan is signalling me that he is going to start his ascent. I signal OK. I look at my computer; the runtime is just coming up to 20 minutes. My total deco is showing as 34 minutes on my Suunto, although that is considerably less than I have planned for. I mull switching to the contingency plan and staying for a couple more minutes to enjoy this amazing wreck, but decide against it. It is not so much that I don't have the gas for a longer deco, but I am worried about my total run time exceeding 75 minutes and irritating everyone else. I decide to stay with my original plan and ascend.

On the mooring line it is starting to get crowded, so I decide to ascend alongside the ship's foremast instead and then swim across nearer the surface. I note idly to myself that I am the last one coming up. I do a quick head count of divers and guides, and everyone seems to be either on the line or above me on the mast. The Odyssey support divers are doing a good job herding the crowd.

At 125 feet I switch onto the 30%. I don't have any scheduled stops until 90 feet, so I continue to ascend slowly. I forget to record the gas switch on my Suunto, but I will spend very little time on 30% anyhow. I compare the scheduled deco times on my Suunto and my Sherwood, and as usual the Suunto shows a lower ceiling and a longer stop. I check my camera again, and I am relieved to see that even without narcosis-goggles, the camera and casing are not damaged.

At 50 feet I swim across to the mooring line and switch over to the 64%. This time I do remember to log the gas switch on my Suunto, and I was the deco time just melt away with the push of a button. Most of the divers above me have moved from the mooring line to the deco bar, which is too small to accommodate that many divers. When I reach my 20 foot stop I decide to head back to the deco bar, but hover just behind it (there is absolutely no current).

I start to look through the photos on my camera and I get an angry beep from my dive computer... oops, broke through my ceiling. Oh well, that's symetry for you - went too deep and then went too shallow. Finish up my scheduled stop at 20 feet and then sat on the deco bar (which was clear by this stage) for another 6 minutes for the sake of good order.

Then I ascend the last 12 feet ever so slowly to the ladder, not because I am worried about being bent but because I know if I get an ascent warning on my Suunto after being in deco it will lock up and my diving will be done for the day. Who says computers breed bad diving habits? When I break the surface I grip the ladder and take off my fins and hand them up. I think about removing my stage bottles, but decide it is easier to climb the ladder wearning them. I look up and see my Dad on the top deck who snaps a quick photo just as a big cheesy grin breaks out on my face.

I would love to do another dive on the San Francisco Maru, but already the skipper is making preparations to move us onto the next wreck. Oh well, I will just have to make sure that I return to Truk one day...

themines.jpg

The mines

500lbbomb.jpg

The bombs I "never saw"

bowgun.jpg

Bow gun

thetank.jpg

One of the famous tanks

RMunderwater.jpg

Rhone Man posing next to a tank

superstructure.jpg

Inside the superstructure

milliondollargrin.jpg

Million dollar grin!

Last edited:
perfect! next?

One of my motivations for learning how to tech dive was so that I could go see the deep water gorgonians found only at certain current-swept locations along the Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island, British Columbia. This past October I finally got that opportunity, when I joined a group of friends and fellow photographers accompanying Curt Bowen, of Advanced Diver Magazine, to Nootka Sound. My dive buddy Valerie and I had planned a 180-foot dive, which would put us along the top of the wall that bottomed out in a channel at about 210. We'd been told that the gorgonians started at about 150, and by 180 feet we'd be seeing some of the larger ones. The channel has been described to me as a coral forest ... but we'd decided to keep our initial plan conservative. We each brought with us doubles with 21/35, and deco bottles with EAN50 and O2.

The day before our planned dive, Valerie received a phone call ... her mom had suffered a heart attack and passed away ... she had to leave. This put me in decision mode ... bag the dive, or alter my plans. Curt and his chief editor, John Rawlings were planning to head down to the channel at about 210. Seattle photographer Bruce Yates was planning a recreational dive to the cloud sponges, at depths less than 100 fsw. I either go with Bruce or go alone. Bruce, being a typical photographer, preferred solo. So I decided to go it alone.

As a precaution I put some backgas in an AL40 for bailout. And thinking about the potential for strong current, decided to limit the number of bottles I was going to sling ... considering that I had reef to follow all the way to the surface I decided to go with EAN50 and leave the O2 on the boat. That way I could get on my deco gas much sooner, and spend more time in the 70-20 foot range, where there was lots of interesting stuff to see. I'd also limit my bottom time to 20 minutes before heading upslope.

We arrived at the site ... a rocky point marked by a lighthouse ... to note stronger than anticipated current. Knowing that this was often surface current we decided to put in upstream of the lighthouse and do a drifting descent down to about 25 feet, sheltering in the lee of the house-sized boulder upon which the lighthouse had been built. This boulder marked the entry into a v-shaped cut that descended steeply down to the gorgonians, and the top of the wall. Except for a spot where it flattens out at about 70 fsw, the cut would shelter us from the worst of the current.

The plan was for me to accompany Curt and John down to my planned depth, and then they would continue on with their dive plan while I proceeded to take pictures of the gorgonians I'd find in the 170-180 foot range. At 20 minutes I'd begin my ascent.

Curt dropped in first, with me behind him and John following behind me. The visibility was excellent, at 50-60 feet, and I had no difficulty watching Curt drift through the kelp beds and settle in behind the boulder ... out of the current. As I settled in behind him I turned around to watch John ... and there was no John. We waited about three minutes ... watching the sunlight filtering through wavering fronds of kelp, but John never appeared. Finally Curt signaled that he and I should begin our descent down through the cut. The walls of the cut were festooned with strawberry anemones ... a vivid red field accented with towering white metridiums and yellow sponges. I figured it'd be a neat view during a longish deco on the way up. At about 70 feet we hit the flat ... and were hammered with current as soon as we began to cross it. Fortunately there were adequate handholds to pull our way across the 30 feet or so and drop into the shelter on the other side, once again away from the current. The descent to 170 was quick and uneventful. As predicted, at about 150 I found my first gorgonian ... at about 160 I found one I decided was worth a picture ... about 2 feet high, beautiful, branching, and with polyps extended ... feeding ... I signaled Curt, waved good-bye, and watched him disappear into the depths as I deployed my camera.

IMG_8366.jpg

Just after taking my first picture I noticed a light descending downslope ... it was John. I pointed down the wall, indicating that Curt went that-a-way, and he continued on down to hook up with him. I took a few shots and then went down a bit further, exploring a steeply sloping wall where several larger ones were anchored ... checking my gauge, I was at 172 fsw. These ones were in the 4 to 6 foot range, with impressive branches. So I stopped for a few more shots ...

IMG_8198.jpg

The current was blowing pretty good across the wall, and I decided that, given the exertion of maintaining position for the time it took to take the pictures, I didn't need to go any deeper. I checked my time ... 18 minutes ... close enough ... I'm heading up.

Somehow on the way up I missed the cut ... and rather quickly realized that I was downstream of where I wanted to be. But as I came up to about 100 fsw I found some nice cloud sponges and decided to take a few more shots ...

IMG_8372.jpg

At 70 fsw I switched over to my deco bottle and continued exploring the reef. At one point I found a little sleeping beauty tucked underneath a rock ...

IMG_8206.jpg

As I hit about 50 fsw, the sunlight played some dramatic effects along the reef. Looking up, I decided to capture the moment ...

IMG_8076.jpg

By now the current had almost died down, and I decided to kick back toward the cut as I ascended to 20 fsw. At 20 fsw I found Curt and John, hanging around not realizing they didn't need to hide from the current anymore, doing their deco. I joined them for a while, but they had a lot more deco to do than me, so after about 10 minutes I bid them farewell and did a slow 10-minute ascent from 20 to the surface.

It was just about the most glorious 74 minutes I've ever spent underwater ... and the achievement of a goal I had worked nearly five years to earn ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
Bob- all wonderful shots, as usual- but that last one with the strawberry anemones and the green water above is spectacular.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom