Force Fins and DIR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call Bob and see what he can do. I called him last week and I have a pair of excellerators arriving soon to add to my stable. Bob has many things not listed on his website, but if you are a cult member things seem to appear when needed.

There are some real differences in the Excellerator and the Hockey, although they are quite similar.

The final 4-5 inches of the Excellerator are softer. This is actually greatly helps the feel of the fin and is part of what give them the extremely fine control abilities. As many have learned ForceFins need to be activated or loaded like a spring to really shine, since these last couple of inches are a bit more flexible you can load them easily with very small movements. Plus you can pair them with ForceWings (whiskers or batwings are my favorite) that can further enhance their abilities for control, with the right technique you can actually swim sideways by sculling the fins.

The Hockey this softer section was beefed up for greater forward power and maneuvering, but they are a brute force solution, not great for the really fine control stuff.

Well, if DA says you can dive them in the cave, you can dive them in the cave. I'm not a DIR diver but the Force fins (people use them for wreck diving up here) look like they are designed flutter kicking and direct thrust downward, which isn't always optimal for silty situations. A friend came to Florida for a week of cave diving and after the first dive I hid his Force fins and lent him a pair of blades. He had a much easier time and I "found" the Force ones at the end of the week and gave them back:wink:. The OMS Slipstreams are worth a try if the weight of the Jets is making you fatigued on long dives, they are the same shape and a LOT lighter. They also have the same rubbery feel as the Jets which is nice on slippery boat decks and dive ladders. My feet are about a 10 US and I use the XL for turbo soles and the XXL (which is shaped just like the Turtle fin) for suits with the bigger molded boots.

Well, if DA says you can dive them in the cave, you can dive them in the cave. I'm not a DIR diver but the Force fins (people use them for wreck diving up here) look like they are designed flutter kicking and direct thrust downward, which isn't always optimal for silty situations. A friend came to Florida for a week of cave diving and after the first dive I hid his Force fins and lent him a pair of blades. He had a much easier time and I "found" the Force ones at the end of the week and gave them back:wink:. The OMS Slipstreams are worth a try if the weight of the Jets is making you fatigued on long dives, they are the same shape and a LOT lighter. They also have the same rubbery feel as the Jets which is nice on slippery boat decks and dive ladders. My feet are about a 10 US and I use the XL for turbo soles and the XXL (which is shaped just like the Turtle fin) for suits with the bigger molded boots.

Trust me, or demo for yourself, the Excellerating Force fins ( or Hockeys) frog kick incredibly well.....but the cave diver would want the Excellerating Force Fin over the hockey fin, for cave..it provides the precise control a cave diver needs, ANd all the power a cave diver might need, if suddenly flow becomes a problem.

Billraham, my GOD, sounds like the "Dark Ages", what a turn off to Diving.

Bob, would the Excellereting force fins be available if I ordered them? I no longer see them on the Website. I have a 10,5 foot and would be using a DUI drysuit with turbo soles.

thank you

davide

Luganodiver, Excellereting Force fins are available, size xxl will work. Took off web site due to lack of production. Best, Bob

Billraham, my GOD, sounds like the "Dark Ages", what a turn off to Diving.

Yeah, cave diving is different, ordinarily I could care less about someone's fin choice. If you're in a fifty foot high passage, off the bottom twenty feet, and you're creating silt, there is a problem. Secondly, this particular guy, love him dearly, is SO stubborn he'd argue about it until the end of time. So, either I hid the fins, or he wasn't diving with us. No way am I getting in a totally avoidable zero vis situation because someone won't wear the right fins. I will try the ones you suggested when I get a chance though, the one's I'm talking about were the old school force wreck diving fins.

Billgraham, you hide my Force Fin's, you will become the enemy. After 30 years of this bull on Force Fin's kicking up silt, just depends on how you use them. Cave diving is not my cup of tea, I admire those who enjoy this adventure and return to tell. Mount Everest is another spot I leave for others...I am sure you know what is going on with the amount of dives you have made, just don't ever try to hide my Force Fins.

I use the Excellerating Force fins un the muck area of the BHB marine park...and area where silt is instantly kicked up by bad fins and bad technique..Frog kicking the Excellerators is exactly as effective and non-silt producing as my scubapro jet fins....Modified flutter is even better and more effective with the Excellerators.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom