Forced descent in Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "Blue Hole" is a unique dive. I was there around New Years. As mentioned in previous posts, a rapid descent is required to ensure an adequate bottom time at the cavern level. My maximum depth on that dive was 137 feet. I went with an unmentioned other dive operation, whose passengers had to be rescued on the return boat ride (due to engine problems) by Amigos Del Mar. ADM runs an excellent operation, with a first rate dive boat.

Just wanted to weigh in that I really enjoyed the blue hole dive, did it with Amigos del Mar, thought they were a great operation and am glad I went. It's not full of coral or tons of little fishes, but it is definitely a very unique dive with amazing formations. We were even lucky enough to see some gigantic fish and sharks. Plus, the nearby dives that ADM hits after that were some of the best ones we did in Belize.

ADM did indicate when I was there that anyone having issues before we got to max depth was to return to the boat. As mentioned above, I think there are two reason for this: not enough gas for everyone to wait around and then make a full dive to 130' and a good mechanism to weed out those who are feeling a little skittish and probably shouldn't be heading to 130'.

They also said in the breifing that if you are foolish/narc'd enough to go beyond 140', the divemasters are NOT going after you. :O

Well, I'm understanding now why they call it an advanced dive. There is NO WAY I would've been prepared for that dive no matter how gutsy I am. I agree, they should've stated that BEFORE the boat took off, but sounds like it's not that odd of a request. They did say that too, that it would limit everyone else's dive time if they had to stop for anyone.
Has anyone done the whale shark dive in Placencia???? It too is an advanced dive and we wanted to go, but they go based on the lunar calendar and we left too soon for it.

The Blue Hole dive is actually closer to 140' than 130' if diver chooses to enter the cavern and swim through the stalagtites. The dive services will take anyone there so self discipline is the order of the day for new divers. We dived with Ambergris Divers and were given similar instructions about equalizing and also instructed to perform a bubble check before descending. Air is at a premium on this dive and I carried a pony for back-up. Experienced divers would have no problem with the dive but a new diver is likely to have a high air consumption rate - the water is gray at this depth and there will apprehension about the depth itself. Not a good dive for a beginner even though they will take you.

Christi:
I am not familiar with the Blue Hole, as I've never done that dive. I've only read and heard about it.

With that said, there are certain dives (I don't know if this is one of those) that require the divers to do a rapid descent and time cannot be wasted for those who are nervous, or slow to equalize. On dives like those, then yes, it needs to be covered in the briefing...in that case, it should be disclosed up front so that people who KNOW they are slow to equalize don't waste thier money or time.

Diving is not a handholding sport...sometimes you have to have thick skin and realize that some things are told AS IS...diving is not a sport for whiners.

You just described a "trust me dive" that the "divemaster" knows is a difficult dive but for the money will do it. The problem is even those who equalize and follow are generally so far over their head it's not funny.

Avoid those situations.

As for your last comment, get off the horse. :wink:

This type of activity sends up some serious red flags to me!

From the facts stated, it's my opinion that the charters are conducting dives with marginal gas supplies for the dive being done.

If you're cutting it that close, you're tempting fate.

the K

What a mess. A deep dive without "dvanced" procedures isn't an advanced dive. It's a stupid dive. The only reason folks don't have enough air for a comfortable ascent on that dive is that they aren't bringing enough with them in the first place.

Time spent equalizing at shallower depths is going to have a minimal effect on the time available deeper. Some people can descend quickly and some can't. Just plan things accordingly. Planning a 140 ft dive as a no-stop dive seems like folly anyway.

cerich:
You just described a "trust me dive" that the "divemaster" knows is a difficult dive but for the money will do it. The problem is even those who equalize and follow are generally so far over their head it's not funny.

Avoid those situations.

As for your last comment, get off the horse. :wink:
I'm not quite sure why what Christie is referring to is a "trust me dive". As I read it (maybe incorrectly) it doesn't follow that the divers being guided are all beginners. I've been on several dives in Thailand where you need to get down very fast - even using negative entries so as to waste no time on the surface. The reason? Currents. If you took too long then you would be swept into blue water completely off the pinnacle. If that happened...use your safety sausage and ascend - dive over. You don't see many beginners being led on those dives - and you do see experienced divers blowing it and ending up back on the boat. There's not a lot the DM can do really - you either get down fast and group in the lee of the formation...or not. It's certainly not a "trust me dive"....maybe more of a "do it yourself dive" :D And in that respect - you'd better be able to!

MikeFerrara:
Some people can descend quickly and some can't.
I agree. Some dives can't be done by people who can't descend quickly.

The air issue is something else though.

Kim:
I'm not quite sure why what Christie is referring to is a "trust me dive". As I read it (maybe incorrectly) it doesn't follow that the divers being guided are all beginners. I've been on several dives in Thailand where you need to get down very fast - even using negative entries so as to waste no time on the surface. The reason? Currents. If you took too long then you would be swept into blue water completely off the pinnacle. If that happened...use your safety sausage and ascend - dive over. You don't see many beginners being led on those dives - and you do see experienced divers blowing it and ending up back on the boat. There's not a lot the DM can do really - you either get down fast and group in the lee of the formation...or not. It's certainly not a "trust me dive"....maybe more of a "do it yourself dive" :D And in that respect - you'd better be able to!

Different situation from the OP, it's not current that the DM is worried about, it's air.
The trust me part comes from the "this is how we do this deep dive, we do it all the time, if you can get down fast you'll have enough air, everybody comes here to dive the Blue Hole even new divers you don't want to miss this"

What you describe is "this is a difficult dive that needs experience, the currents rip here mate, you'll need to drop fast and get in the lee behind the pinnacle, if you get blown off shoot a bag and the boat will pick you up because I won't be able to help you due to the current. From your logbook and the last few days diving with you I believe you're capable but don't be surprised if the current gets ya. Are you sure you're up for this? You'll love it, lets give it a go"

Just a little different....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom