Fort Myers Diving for NE Lobsta Divahs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidInNH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wondering if any of you phine-phinned-pholks have gone diving in the Fort Myers, FL area. I know I should be looking at the sites for that area but it appears that the diving there is minimal or poor by our standards. I've looked at some stuff but it appears that even the local shops take their students to the east coast for their checkout dives - seems to speak a lot of poor diving on the west coast.

Thanks.

- Dave

My wife and I ended up driving to Fort Myers to stay with her family after a week in Miami (where we completed our AOWs). We brought our gear and noticed some shops, but I was only there for 2 days (1 being a Sunday) so I didn't get to visit the (closed) shops. We did (try to) snorkel there, but the viz is SO poor that my nose pretty much hit the bottom before I saw it. I don't know if it is different off-shore, but I'd rather dive Brace Cove after a Nor'easter. Other than the viz, the area beautiful.

On a side note, I believe there is a decent chance of finding Megalodon teeth in areas not too far from there.

Have a great trip!

Derrick

the diving there is minimal or poor by our standards.

I wouldn't waste your time. I've thought about bringing my gear to Marco Island when I go down there but after a few trips out in the boat I found that fishing/relaxing is more the order of the day. Nothing wrong with that mind you :)

-- Matt

Just wondering if any of you phine-phinned-pholks have gone diving in the Fort Myers, FL area. I know I should be looking at the sites for that area but it appears that the diving there is minimal or poor by our standards. I've looked at some stuff but it appears that even the local shops take their students to the east coast for their checkout dives - seems to speak a lot of poor diving on the west coast.

Thanks.

- Dave

I looked into trying to squeeze a dive in while I was at Sox Spring Training this year. Didn't seem like it was worth it, so we just took advantage of the time honored Florida 'happy hour' tradition at the Ft. Myers AleHouse. Venice is where you can look for fossilized shark teeth, but that's a muck dive for sure. I also think it's North of Tampa? Not sure.

LobstaMan

Venice is way south of Tampa, a few miles south of Sarasota. Overbuilt, dense traffic, murky water, lots of boats. Diving or snorkeling upstream in the Peace River is probably better for fossil shark's teeth, etc.

The diving isn't that bad here you just need a boat and alot of gas to get out, there are no charters to take you out but the at around 3-4 miles you start to get 20-25 feet vis, there are better spots around 20-25 miles offshore around 80 to 100 feet depth with 60-80 vis.

I lived there for a few years up until AUG.
Don't bother unless you are going to the East coast.
Bring a Mask and Fins an look for shells.
If you have a buddy that has a boat and lots of gas you might find a good spot offshore but that will be at least 20m off.

Back
Top Bottom