Fort Pickens Dive and Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Met mrmcoy at Fort Pickens for a Friday afternoon dive. High Tide was around 3:50 PM. We met at the parking area around 1:30 PM. I got there first and got a good parking spot over by the showers. It was a warm beautiful Florida summer day. I snapped a few pictures when I first arrived. There were only a few people on site, and at that point there wasn't any other divers.

pickensbeach.jpg

pickensbeach2.jpg

mrmcoy and I geared up and headed for the water. The water was warm..mrmcoy will have to report the water temps. My computer didn't record the temperatures properly. The water had a green algae tint to it. There was also some of that nice suspended "snot" in the water. I took my camera on the first dive...but today was a day for only macro shots. There was just to much green and particulate in the water for decent pictures. I estimate viz was between 8, 10, 15 foot depending on where we happened to be at the time. Our first dive was 49 minutes long, with a max depth of 48 feet. Here are a few pictures:

damsel-4.jpg

drum-1.jpg

jonathan.jpg

hermit-1.jpg

snail.jpg

puffer-1.jpg

jonathan2.jpg

We switched out tanks and did the usual dive BS during our surface interval. After about 45 minutes, we headed back in for a second dive. I decided to leave the camera for the second dive. I told mrmcoy that since I was leaving my camera...prepare to see some cool stuff. I WAS RIGHT!

We saw a number of things I wished I could get pictures of. There was a large octopus sitting on the pipe organ...he was sitting on top and it would have made a GREAT picture. We also had a Guitar Fish just sit and pose for a picture...but someone didn't bring the camera!!:shakehead: Also had a large File Fish, a Blenny in a barnacle, and three puffer fish just stop and hang out with us. Those are just to name a few. We saw a very cool fish that I am still trying to find a picture of...of course he just sat there and let us study him. If I would have had my camera...he would have run away immediately.

Second dive was a nice leisurely dive. We made a 45 minute dive and I had a max depth of 44 feet. Two great dives with a great dive buddy. Fort Pickens is a great dive even when conditions aren't perfect.

There was actually 2 Octopus in the Pipe Organ, one in the hole and one just sitting on top... got the one in the hole to eat a crab for me! :) The large one that was inside the hole is always there, so you can get a shot of him next time you are out there.

Are you talking about the polka dot batfish that was down there? He was pretty interesting!

I wish I was better at identifying fish, I marked the guitarfish down as an electric ray and if I'm thinking right, I called the File Fish a cowfish.

Thanks for the report :)

Actually we saw a total of three octopus. I saw the one in the hole...I have enough of the eyeball shots. But the one sitting on top of the organ would have been a great shot...he had good color and you could see his whole body.

The fish that posed was the Batfish. I did NOT take this picture. Just posted it so people can see the type of batfish because there are a few different types. The color and markings were different though.

batfish.jpg

Need to go back and solo dive with my camera so I can do some macro stuff out there. Sontek, did we talk with you at the end of our first dive?? Was it your group that asked us about visibility??

There was actually 2 Octopus in the Pipe Organ, one in the hole and one just sitting on top... got the one in the hole to eat a crab for me! :) The large one that was inside the hole is always there, so you can get a shot of him next time you are out there.

Are you talking about the polka dot batfish that was down there? He was pretty interesting!

I wish I was better at identifying fish, I marked the guitarfish down as an electric ray and if I'm thinking right, I called the File Fish a cowfish.

Thanks for the report :)

Need to go back and solo dive with my camera so I can do some macro stuff out there. Sontek, did we talk with you at the end of our first dive?? Was it your group that asked us about visibility??

Yeah, I was diving solo today but was with that group when you guys popped up. I just got my camera set back up, i'm pretty excited about getting pics again :)

I will have to check the temp. my computer registered but I dont think it was any less than 75.

Speaking of octopus I'm watching man vs. wild eat one raw!

Glen did tell me he wasn't going to bring his camera on the second dive so we would see some cool stuff and he was right! I enjoyed the dives and diving with a great dive buddy made for a great afternoon at ft pickens!

My computer registered 73-74 on all 3 dives but I think sontek's showed 71. Reguardless it is 3mil temps. :eyebrow:

Thanks for posting the report Glenfwb.
I was in Mobile for a year and due to time constraints and lousy weather was never able to see that place.
I might get to do it someday.
Chug
Dives in SoFla.

Thanks for the report! Looks like the removed the oil boom that was there a week ago.

I have got to get a recent map for the site, or get up with a couple of you guys that know it well. I've been there three or so times, always with <10' viz, and have been very inconsistent when looking for features like the pipe organ & jeep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom