Forum consensus inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marksm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anchored in Colorado...stationed in Florida
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just trying to get a feel for what users expect from the group trips forum.

I had a recent post about some openings on an Australia trip the first week of April deleted because it was considered spamming the board to post such items. And yet, I see many many items mentioning just that sort of thing. As a new user to the forum, I am confused.

I have been diving for many years and helping a local shop out as an independent instructor. As a thank you, they offered me one of the comp spots on their group trip. Unfortunately some people just cancelled and I lost my spot. The owner said if I could get the spots filled, then I could go on the trip.

So I searched the web and found this forum which seemed an ideal place to mention such openings because there were so many other such openings mentioned.

I hope, that as a community of divers, the decision to delete my post was not based on seniority, cronyism, or another personal censure method. That would be a shame and a diservice to all.

Now of course as a new member making some waves as I giant stride into this abyss, I have no idea whom I may have just accidentily insulted with my little story. However, I assure you no disrepect was intended. It takes a lot of effort to moderate these type of boards, I know, I have done it myself for some of my other hobbies. I respect and appreciate the efforts the moderators are puting forth.

There are lines not to be crossed when posting to boards like advertising a fin special or rudely stomping on another's opinion. It is my opinion, that posting open slots on trips is a perfect use for this "group trips" forum. I would like to know yours.

Of course there is a chance this little ditty will be deleted as well.

Cheers and g'day.

Mark Santa-Maria
SSIOWI #103666

I had a recent post about some openings on an Australia trip the first week of April deleted because it was considered spamming the board to post such items.

Were you notified your thread was deleted and the reason? I am a bit curious myself. Although I never saw your thread, I am interested in knowing why it was deleted.

Just curious......

Thomas

Me too.

I was considering advertising a trip up here to BC, to see if anyone wants to go.

I see trips advertised here which i think are "pre aproved"

I also see DIR courses advertised all the time here.

would I not be allowed to do the same....if not then i think we should have a section on the board for trips course, etc

Yes, I was notified and it was a polite and couteous notification. It follows...
--------------------------------
"Hi Marksm

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

I just wanted to let you know that I have removed your post advertising your shop's trip to Australia . Our members consider posts that simply advertise a product, shop, service or website to be spamming the board, which we do not allow.

I look forward to your continued participation on the Scuba Board forums. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know and thank you for your cooperation."
--------------------------

I won't repost my original message because I don't think that would be appropriate. If the moderator wishes to repost it so it can be discussed then that is up to them.

I don't believe; however, that it was any more or less a pitch for an open spot on a trip that I was seeing posted already. Seriously, it was just a mention of the openings and why I wanted to book them and I even gave my personal contact info and not the shops.

Thanks for replying.

Cheers!

Mark

Well, it isn't looking very promising at this point but my comp spot was for the Spoilsport out of Townsville... a 7 day the 1st week of April. I hope I can still go but I only had a few days to rebook the cancelled spots. Story of my life.

From your moniker, I assume you are in Sydney and getting ready for the summer diving season while I'm trying to get out of the way of another Michigan winter. Good on you mate.

Thanks for replying.

Cheers!

Mark

I don't know the complete nature of your post because I didn't get a chance to read it so it is hard for me to make a fair judgement on it if it was spamming or not, but if it is as you say then I am sorry that it did get deleted.

I for one hate spam in my web based mail just like the junk mail that arrives in your home mail box and my biggest peave of all are the ****** telephone solicitors.

I wouldn't want to see this board go to lots of ads and constant spamming however If your post is as you said then IMHO I think you were a victim of Hypocricy and I say that because I have seen similar posts many times before as far as there being a spot on a charter or of that nature, not to mention other forms of selling right on the forums and not in the classifieds that goes unchallenged by the powers that be. Personally the pitches for open charters or trips have for the most part been nothing to worry about as far a spamming that I have seen and has seemed harmless and actually more helpful then harmful that is why I don't understand that yours' if it is as you say would have been deleted......that seems unfair and a hypocritical.:upset:

Mark, I believe Ladydiver was the one who removed your post. If you're going to quote a personal notification, you should put the author on it as well. If you have any further questions, I'd suggest you return her PM to you and ask her directly for a more thorough explaination.

One difference in your post and those already posted, is the authors are all long standing, well established members. You are a new member who posted the trip as your very first post. With no record here and no participation yet so folks can get a feel of whether you are an honest fellow or not. Nothing personal and I'm not calling you dishonest. I'm just trying, in my bumbling way, to point out the differences.

Only Ladydiver or King Neptune, the owner of this site, can fully explain it. As I suggested, you should ask them for further clarification.

Dee:

Thank you for responding. I'd rather have you bumble so we can come to an understanding then have me running for my flame proof suit. :)

Actually, I felt that saying who the private message was from was the wrong thing to do because my intention was not to drag any single person into it. Who deleted the post, IMO, wasn't as important as to why. I did not know that Ladydiver and King Neptune owned the site. I can now see your point as to why it may have been helpful.

Actually, I did request an explaination but have yet to receive a reply. To be fair, it has only been a day since I asked for a better understanding of why some charters and trips were allowed to be posted and mine was not. I assure you it was a polite and courteous message with referenced posts that I thought were very similar to mine.

I can appreciate the "established members" explanation. I see where that makes some sense. However, I wouldn't want to believe that being allowed to post trips and openings is based on how many posts you make to the forum or when you signed up.

IMHO, the merits of the post and its benefits to the members should be the deciding factor. If it is against the rules, then so be it for everyone. I am of the opinion; however, that posting vacancies is a great asset to the members and should be allowed to continue.

Dee, I really like the trip postings I see on the forum. The Wreckmania trip and Natasha's planning a singles trip are great ideas and I would love to participate and meet some of the forum members.

Last but not least, I'm sorry, in a way, that this entire thread will end up forming the first impression many forum members will have of me. This whole thing just struck a nerve with me. I just wanted to have an open discussion and I thank you for your response.

Cheers!

Mark

marksm once bubbled...
...I can appreciate the "established members" explanation. I see where that makes some sense. However, I wouldn't want to believe that being allowed to post trips and openings is based on how many posts you make to the forum or when you signed up.

IMHO, the merits of the post and its benefits to the members should be the deciding factor. If it is against the rules, then so be it for everyone. I am of the opinion; however, that posting vacancies is a great asset to the members and should be allowed to continue.

The "established members" is just one of my observations rather than an 'official' stance on things. LD will have to explain more fully what the 'official' rules are.

Dee, I really like the trip postings I see on the forum. The Wreckmania trip and Natasha's planning a singles trip are great ideas and I would love to participate and meet some of the forum members.

We look forward to your future participation and contributions. I'm sorry I couldn't give you a more definative answer, but I didn't want yo to think you were being ignored on a touchy subject. I hope you'll stick around. I've met so many people from this and other message boards that have become really good friends. If you ever get down Texas way, we'll add you to the list!

Last but not least, I'm sorry, in a way, that this entire thread will end up forming the first impression many forum members will have of me. This whole thing just struck a nerve with me. I just wanted to have an open discussion and I thank you for your response.

On the contrary, your entrance here has shown you to be a polite person, asking a reasonable question in an unthreathening manor. The same can't be said for others. You should see some of the faux pas us old "established members" have made in the past! Through your future posts, people will get to know you.

BTW...Welcome to Scuba Board! :eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom