Fossil dive 6/29/03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent dives. Reef Guy was late, but Wendy was waiting when I arrived. Reef Guy didn't show, so we hit the water without him.

18 ft for 50 minutes 1 ft viz (places less) Wendy found 12 teeth, I found 19. 84° F

When we exited, Reef Guy was waiting. Wendy sat on the beach with Jeff's family while I went back in with Jeff.

20 ft for 1 hour 14 minutes A few spots with 3 ft viz, mostly less. I didn't hear Jeff's count, I found 111 teeth. 84° F

I enjoyed meeting Wendy, Jeff and Jeff's wife and 4 kids.

I had fun today. Walter, ReefGuy, it was nice meeting you guys. I had a good time hanging with Mrs. ReefGuy and his kids too.

I'm sure that the next time I go there I'll get more teeth cuz I'll no what I'm doing. I think the first 5 things I bagged were rocks but then I got the hang of it.

Oh and I found 3 more teeth while I was laying out on the beach.

111 teeth....... man walter did you leave any for the next time? I so much wanted to meet and join you all today but I had prior commitments.
I'm glad that the weather cooperated and you had some vis. With the weather lately I'm surprized you had that. Once the rain and wind get to normal, visability should improve. ReefGuy should have supplied after dive refreshments for being late. ha,ha

Hopefully Wendy enjoyed it enough to return for more dives. I grew up in Venice so going up there is like homecoming it's a great place.

Till next time, Dive often but safe.

Wildbill:D

Is there a perfect distance to go out from shore? Or a landmark line that you guys use to determine where to look for good hunting areas? My wife and I might try to head down this weekend to do some quick dives using the new computers.

Of course, its holiday weekend also, so that may not be the best time to head down there. Might be able to walk across the dive flag floats.

The perfect distance from shore on this dive ended up being where vis got up to 4'. :) , about 300' offshore (? I'm terrible at estimating distance).

I just counted: 64 teeth. I don't feel so bad anymore. The few times I could see Walter, he was picking them up so quickly that it looked like he was typing :D .

It was nice to meet you Wendy and Walter, I hope I have the chance to dive with you again soon. Walter, thanks for the tips on the buddy line and the tired dive tow.

I saw more life than I was expecting, all the sheepsheads and grunts (and the stone crab!)

The kids went nuts over the sharks' teeth. I'm going to make them a sieve, and next time show them how to look as well. I'm trying to find a book on sharks' teeth and we're going to learn to identify them. This was the first time they've seen me dive, and they really want to learn to snorkel too.

Walter, when I last dove Venice beach (up by sharkys), I saw a few scattered gargonians. I didn't see any this weekend. Are they common? Are there any other corals that grow in this environment?

And as far as being late. I had to be! I had the shortest distance to go! :D

Hi everyone, I just did a search on the Internet using “Teeth” and “Venice” to find information about shark tooth diving in Venice. Found this site.

Walter, Wendy, Reefguy, nice report. I’m looking forward to coming back down soon to Venice (from Gainesville FL) to hunt shark teeth again. Man that’s fun. Something about that Hunter, Gatherer thing I suppose.

All my diving for teeth are from the Venice public beach and swimming 200 meters offshore to 18 feet and hitting a trough. Sometimes the vis is bad but you always find teeth. I’m hoping to come down in the next two weeks with the wifer and two young children.

I just wanted to say hi and thank everyone for their comments about their tooth hunting adventures of late.
Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom