Fossils - Peace River & Venice beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What part of the suwannee are you diving? We dive in north FL (Suwannee County). The absolute best I have ever seen it in the last few years is 1' max. The tannin turns the water a reddist color. No I have never found fossils but I really haven't been looking. I have found some old turpintine pots and logging artifacts.

The northern portions of the Suwannee generally have reduced visibility due to the tannic acid you mention (the origin of the Suwannee is the Okefenokee Swamp!!). However, down river from about Branford the visibility tends to increase due to the dilution from the many springs that feed the lower half of the river, as well as the Santa Fe, which in turn is fed by the Itchetucknee (lots of clear water).

Of course this generality goes out the window when the thunderstorms pass through, though this usually is more of a local affect and short lived. The best time of year for diving the Suwannee is the winter--before the normal late winter rains start (which has not been the norm the past few years). In the winter outflow from the swamp is minimal while the springs continue to do their thing mostly unabated--which means the lower river has excellent visibility.

Due to the larger volume of spring water, the temperature is also moderated and we use the same wet suit protection, as the water is little if any colder than in the summer. Another plus--in the winter boat traffic is almost nonexistant.

As for artifacts and fossils--countless examples have been recovered over the years--having had a diving love affair with this river since the 60's--I probably have found my share!!

Shuuuu your in Florida you cant say the word "find" and "Paleo points" together! LOL

I found a SMOKIN ric tooth in September on the Suwannee. 3 and 1/8 incher! No gators but water was good viz. I bumped a few good logs to bring the reality of fear back into me! LOL

Im a rock nut too!

Steve

Fossil diving is what interests me . Remember, you can no longer take artifacts from these waters. You can remove fossils & should have a Florida Fossil Permit.
If anyone wants to go on the Suwannee River & search for fossils, I have a boat & don't live far from it. No charge !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom