Found ship anchor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My father was a navy Commander who served in WW2, Korea and Viet Nam as well as stating out in the Merchant Marine. Once he was conning a ship on an inland river and had to turn the ship in an emergency. Due to swift currents and a narrow channel he put the bow of the ship up againt the shore as he manuevered. For some reason they decided to drop anchor. It landed on the shore and killed a farmers cow that decided to graze along the riverbank. Probably the only time that was done before. He later was given a large anchor like the one in the picture to grace our yard as a prank from shipmates. On our many moves we left the anchor behind, but it was something I would like to have, now. Pretty good job of restoring it, by the way.

Great find----just curious, what are you going to do with this anchor, or any of the anchors you have and will find? Again, just curious-- are your finds near the Tremble wreck or the Monarch wreck? I have dove those wreck several times and did current dives in the river several times. I did find a brass porthole plate from off the Tremble; not the glass, just the outside plate. My buddy and I swap ownership of it from time to time. I don't have it at the moment, but when I do, I'll post a photo; It's now a mirror.

We have a couple for sale and their are several of us that have anchors in are yards, more than one in a yard does not look good. No to near the Tremble most of these are comming down stream.I did have lunch with Tim B. today,If you have dove the Tremble you know Tim. We did pull a 2500 lbs. from under the Blue water bridge this year. I will post the photo
Ed

Attachments

• 2500 anchor.JPG
    2500 anchor.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 95
Are you talking Tim B. from Midland, MI---Dive instructor that comes to Gilboa a lot; One of the tour guides in Gilboa's video, "Relive the Memory"?

no the Tim that I am talking about has more than 20,000 dives on the Tremble. Yes I said 20,000 dive on this wreck alone. He get in over 500 a year.

Ed

no the Tim that I am talking about has more than 20,000 dives on the Tremble. Yes I said 20,000 dive on this wreck alone. He get in over 500 a year.

Ed

:11:I'm not refuting the 500 visits a year on this wreck, but it blows my mind when it's broken down by 365 days that make up one year-----add to the time to "just live life" the difficult exit, unfavorable weather conditions, unfavorable river conditions, etc., it's hard to believe he can hit that wreck that many times in a year----just amazing!!! He must live in that park adjacent to the river. I tip my mask to this man.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom