Four Different Tiger Sharks in Jupiter, FL on 05/18/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murfdizzle21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
went diving with Randy Jordan and Emerald Charters on Sunday May 18, 2014 and had a great day. We had four different tiger sharks. We had "Terri" , "Alice" (who has the scar from the rope randy removed) "Patch" (has a white patch on right side and a cut on the dorsal) and "Hooker" who has a hook in the left corner of her mouth. Randy also shot a cobia that came in to see what was going on. We saw the resident hawksbill turtle that seems to live at the Bonaire. We also clipped a gopro to the bait box and it was sucked off by a Goliath Grouper. Awesome day out on the water. Footage shot by Mickey Smith, Cameron Nimmo, and Miles Heitzberg. Watch in 720P HD and Thank you for watching!

[video=youtube;vuKPo7hxK4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuKPo7hxK4M[/video]

Murfdizzle: Ah oh..... I see a firestorm exploding over this one!

Well that was an an adrenaline filled video (good production too). My eyeballs were pasted to my phone while watching it.

It is shocking to me that the tigers don't respond negatively when Randy 'pets' the side of their faces..... I'd think they would get annoyed and might take a quick nip of his hand; I guess my surprise at the lack of a negative reaction shows what I know about shark behavior. I'd still worry a bit that a tiger might accidently swipe his hand or arm with its teeth as it turns away. While I have no proof, It still feels like Randy's interactions with these sharks in this manner is not a good thing: but that is a gut and/or emotional response on my part.

My favorite part of the video was near the end: what a great perspective of the Goliaths coming to investigate the milk crate and attached camera (and then batting it around). Somebody had a brilliant idea to set up that GoPro to capture the GG footage: I loved it.

The site looked like the stern of the Bonnaire (correct?).

Thanks for sharing!

Murfdizzle: Ah oh..... I see a firestorm exploding over this one!

Well that was an an adrenaline filled video (good production too). My eyeballs were pasted to my phone while watching it.

It is shocking to me that the tigers don't respond negatively when Randy 'pets' the side of their faces..... I'd think they would get annoyed and might take a quick nip of his hand; I guess my surprise at the lack of a negative reaction shows what I know about shark behavior. I'd still worry a bit that a tiger might accidently swipe his hand or arm with its teeth as it turns away. While I have no proof, It still feels like Randy's interactions with these sharks in this manner is not a good thing: but that is a gut and/or emotional response on my part.

My favorite part of the video was near the end: what a great perspective of the Goliaths coming to investigate the milk crate and attached camera (and then batting it around). Somebody had a brilliant idea to set up that GoPro to capture the GG footage: I loved it.

The site looked like the stern of the Bonnaire (correct?).

Thanks man, we were hoping the sharks would check out the camera on the box but nope, It was all groupers (I have a lot of footage I might make a separate video with more from that cam). Randy is putting the tigers into like a "tonic immobility" state. Check out Eli Martinez doing the same thing to Tiger Sharks in Tiger Beach. And yes this was at the stern of the bonaire.

[video=youtube;2tdzS64u6UM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tdzS64u6UM[/video]

........ Randy is putting the tigers into like a "tonic immobility" state. Check out Eli Martinez doing the same thing to Tiger Sharks in Tiger Beach......

Geeez, there were freakin tiger sharks everywhere: I wonder how many stay in the tiger beach area year round (so become accustomed to being handled) and how many migrate in and out of the area. By comparison, Randy's activities look almost benign; he only handles four at a time instead of dozens. The one difference I wonder about is the possibility that tiger beach sharks never leave the area and are 'trained'.

Wow! Crazy how he could rub their faces without any aggressive behavior in return.

Geeez, there were freakin tiger sharks everywhere: I wonder how many stay in the tiger beach area year round (so become accustomed to being handled) and how many migrate in and out of the area. By comparison, Randy's activities look almost benign; he only handles four at a time instead of dozens. The one difference I wonder about is the possibility that tiger beach sharks never leave the area and are 'trained'.

I use to think that too, watch this video until the end.

[video=youtube;9iFl7BxbnXQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iFl7BxbnXQ[/video]

Not a big fan of the tiger shark feeding in the first video (although it was well produced). Found the video above posted by Murfdizzle21 to be very interesting though.

Back in 1971 or 72 I was kayaking to an island 5 miles offshore from Kino Bay in the Sea of Cortez when what we estimated to be a 22 ft tiger shark (based on our 18 ft double kayak) bumped us. My co-paddler was a point man in Vietnam and we were both scared excrement-less. The shrimp fishermen in the little town thought we were the bravest men in the Sea of Cortez that day going out in that little boat with el grande tiburon.

I use to think that too, watch this video until the end.

[video=youtube;9iFl7BxbnXQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iFl7BxbnXQ[/video]

Interesting, fascinating, and encouraging.

I'm intrigued by the skewed gender representation here. Granted it's a small sample, but by my count the videos from the Emerald since January have featured 6-8 distinguishable individuals, all females.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom