FP Travel Advice for Newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aeonflux10

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I are planning on getting our PADI open water certification before we leave for our honeymoon in French Polynesia (Tahiti, Rangiroa, Bora Bora, Huahine, Moorea). I've always enjoyed water sports and have been waiting my entire life to get scuba-certified!! Hubby like the water but is new to snorkeling

I look forward to learning more about the sport from your posts - I have a short list of French Polynesia for some of you more experienced folks. If you could answer them, I'd appreciate it; it would greatly help with our preparations!

1. dive shops in each location (or shops to avoid!) - for the "avoids" was the equipment iffy? or the dive trip not well executed?

2. Because of limited funds, we won't be able to do many dives at each island - I think we are going to have to pick and choose. I'd love to prioritize our dives to see the "must sees" first, and we'd love to get your advice on this.

3. any recommended dive packages. some shops have stores on more than 1 island and offer multiple dive packages amongst the different islands. Is this a good idea in general?

4. any perspective on how much diving is "enough" for first-timers. I think we are going to try to arrange dives before we go, but we don't want to sign up for too much or too little.

5. from any female divers - did you get cold diving in French Polynesia? how much covering did you feel comfortable with when diving? Neoprene? just a thin layer? short or full length attire?

6. Were the inter-island puddle jumper weight limits a problem?

7. any other advice for diving in this part of the world?

Thanks for anything you can pass along!

Chantal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom