Free gps software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8buck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
hey does anyone know of software where i can type in lon and lats and it show up on a map????

c'mon walter, genises anyone

Mapquest lat/lon map page will show a specified location on its maps. Enter a negative number for west longitudes.

If you want to show positions on some arbitrary map that you have scanned, the $30 shareware program Gartrip will do that, once you have done a simple calibration of the map.

Charlie

I have a phone with a built in gps that give me the lon and lat i have the lon and lat from my house and was trying to play around and find it on a map off the internet. Was thinking about using it to collect the numbers from dive locations.

I have a phone with a built in gps ...
Have you looked at the phone manufacturer's website for any downloadable goodies that may help ?

The first 2 URLs have mapping / aerial photos listed, you may be able to backtrack with the lat/long numbers.
They do take a long time to load, so a high speed connection will keep you from dozing off between clicks.

Be careful logging numbers from off a dive charter, the folks have been known to toss handheld GPSs overboard when they catch someone trying to hijack their "secret spots".

Before you purchase GPS software from Nextel (Iden) go to a store and have them show you that it will work on your phone. Take it from me! I have spent the money and no worky! They really don't care that it does not work either!

Hey you going in the am?

Hello,

for some awsome satalite maps for the gps check out usaphotomap.

Ed

8buck,
Give me a call later I have MapSource Software that I use with my E-Trex GPS that I can download co-ords, and numerical address. This might be what you need and I'll just give the CD so you can put on your computer.

Wildbill:cop:

Wildbill once bubbled...

Give me a call later I have MapSource Software that I use with my E-Trex GPS that I can download co-ords, and numerical address. This might be what you need and I'll just give the CD so you can put on your computer.
He was asking for FREE gps software, not STOLEN.

Once you get the numbers you may want to check out www.geodiving.com

This website allows you to establish your location then using mapquest it will show you where you are as well as how far it is to any dive site you save or any other site in the Database.

The locations in it are being inputted by the members so accuracy is dependent on their gps numbers but it is a pretty cool database utility for warehousing the locations of divesites and dive related places (ie dive shops/airfill stations) anywhere in the world.

I know the fellow who created it (icefrog) and he is a pretty smart computer geek and has created it as a hobby that also goes along with his other hobby which is diving. (my brain hurts whenever he talks to me)

One of our local dive clubs is now using it to point their members in the right direction when going to a dive site or rally point for a dive (ie Marina).

I don't know if this is what you were looking for but you might find it interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom