freedive training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericciar

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am interested in beginning to freedive for underwaater photography this summer. But I am 50 yo and wonder if I can do it. I am very strong in the water and swim 2500-3000 meters/day 4 times per week as well as run and workout. I am up to 1:45 sec holding my breath but dont know any freediving techniques or skills. I am scuba cert but only have dived about 20 times to 40-70 feet.

What do I need to do now? Should I pursue this or am I too old? I really want to try it.

Eric,

Of course you can freedive! I'm a little older than you and I'm an avid freediver.
I know an 80 year old freediver, and plenty between 60 and 75. As long as your health is good, and your swimming speaks for that, you should be good to go....

That said - get some training!

Don't practice breath hold in a pool without a trained buddy attentively at your side. Just do it in a lounge chair.

Freediver Blackout is very dangerous, but freediving can me managed safely & a lot of fun.

Check out all the sections of this website - Welcome to DiveWise - the Freediving Education Initiative especially watch the Educational Video in the safety section.

Check out this site too - The Blue Wild Spearfishing Seminar and Expo

Chad

I am interested in beginning to freedive for underwaater photography this summer. But I am 50 yo and wonder if I can do it. I am very strong in the water and swim 2500-3000 meters/day 4 times per week as well as run and workout. I am up to 1:45 sec holding my breath but dont know any freediving techniques or skills. I am scuba cert but only have dived about 20 times to 40-70 feet.

What do I need to do now? Should I pursue this or am I too old? I really want to try it.

You need to sign up for a class!

I'm 50, and do 4:10 static, and 40 meters constant ballast. If I can, you can too, and it sounds like you're in better shape.

Read this: PFI class report

All the best, James

Eric,

I took the Level II Freediving Course in July and was the best course I have ever taken. I went from a 1:30 breath hold to 5:03 and from 60 foot freedive to 95 feet. Oh by the way... I am 51 years old also. You are not too old to do this. Here is a video I took while taking the class to give you an idea of what goes on. Martin is having his next class in Jupiter, FL on October 24-27 if you are interested. Best of luck in you new adventure.

John

YouTube - Freediving Level II Course 6 9 09 0001

Also, look for a local underwater hockey club to play with. Besides being a fun sport, it'll quickly improve your snorkelling skills until they become second nature. I know there's a club in Charleston, not sure about NC.

Hi Eric,
I agree with Chad, there's no age limit on freediving! As long as it's done safely you can enjoy freediving for many many more years. We have a buddy that dives a meter for every year he's been alive and he's in his 70s!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom