Freediver photo shoot with majic filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am excited to be shooting some freedivers this week. Does anyone have any composition tips? I find my best shots are when I have some ideas cooking beforehand. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas to share on this. I will be using 12-24mm Nikkor on a D-100 Nikon.

Also, I was planning on trying my new Alex Mustard "majic filter" since they will probably be relatively shallow with enough ambient light. Any tips on this filter that you have picked up using it would be appreciated.

Hi Catherine,

Was just using the filter over the last few days. I found that the colours were really nice when i WB's on a white slate.
Definitely shoot parallel to slightly down with the sun at your back. You can shoot up as well but i would WB in the direction you are going to shoot.
In other words, don't aim straight down at the card and then WB but in the direction you want to shoot.
Also make sure you WB whenever you change depth...if you have ever shot video with manual WB then its pretty much the same thing

M

Mike Veitch:
Hi Catherine,

Was just using the filter over the last few days. I found that the colours were really nice when i WB's on a white slate.
Definitely shoot parallel to slightly down with the sun at your back. You can shoot up as well but i would WB in the direction you are going to shoot.
In other words, don't aim straight down at the card and then WB but in the direction you want to shoot.
Also make sure you WB whenever you change depth...if you have ever shot video with manual WB then its pretty much the same thing

M

Hi MIke,
Thanks for explaining that. I guess it is time to learn WB. I am always in over my head. Do you WB at various depths because of the color spectrum changes at various depths? Have you posted photos taken with the filter?

Yes, WB at different depths due to spectrum changes is correct. You will find if you WB at 30 feet and then come up to 10 then your photo will be extremely red if you don't WB again.

Just working on a Magic Filter report, i will post it on Wetpixel and probably here as well. Might take a day or two still

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom