Freeflow on ATX 200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barb

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently experienced a freeflow on my ATX 200 when I took the 2nd stage out of my mouth to orally inflate my wing.
I was surprised and could'nt get it stopped - finally had to shut down the valve and surface.
I spoke to my favourite Dive Guru and he said it's because I had the Venturi switch in the wrong position. Well this made sence and I thought what a dope I am.
I have since thought some more about it and wondered what the heck .....
This would mean that if I have an OOA diver approach me I must first switch the Venturi switch to (-) before removing it from my mouth and donating it. That does'nt seem right to me ... but what do I know??? It seems to me that maybe my regulator is too sensitive and that's why it freeflowed.
I'd love some input from my other favourite Dive Gurus.
Thanks
Barb

You probably hit the nail on the head. It's set to sensative right now.

Swithching the lever back to pre-dive position will stop the free flow. It will not be hard to breath with it in this position in the water although you will notice a slightly more difficult draw. You simply have it set to its easiest setting. You can also try bringing the venturi in (clock wise) but the lever switch should stop the free flow every time.

Safe diving

It sounds like the reg is a bit out of adjustment.

I keep my primary in the "+" position at all times. It doesn't free flow.

I keep my backup, also an ATX 200, in the "-" position to decrese the chance of a free flow from an accidental knock or a current. I don't actually need to do this as the reg doesn't free flow when left in the "+" position. However, I prefer it.

You might try increasing cracking pressure a bit with the adjustment knob. One of the nice things about an adjustable is you should be able to compensate for a little over aggressive tuning.

Even with the flow vain in the dive position, a freeflow should be controlable by obstructing the mouthpiece or even simply pointing it downward. Having to shut down the valve is too drastic unless you were in cold enough water to produce an icing problem.

.. I had to surface and shut off the valve.
I'll try diving with it in the (-) position until I can bring it in for an adjustment.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Barb

The price we pay for really high performance regulators is that the will be more prone to freeflows - there just isn't any way around it. Apeks regs are actually tuned by adjusting them so that, once flow is initated using the purge, they will continue to flow with the venturi lever in the high boost position. However the line between being tuned and overtuned is a narrow one, and too much of a tendency to freeflow can be a sign that the reg is poorly adjusted.

Don't know how experienced you are with that specific reg, and regs in general, but freeflows often seem more intimidating than they really are when they take you by surprise. Often just turning the 2nd so the mouthpiece points down will be enough to stop it, or taking it in your mouth and puffing into it.

I'd suggest, before detuning the reg or deciding never to use the venturi boost, that you play around with the reg a bit in a pool or shallow water, making it freeflow, then stopping it, to get a feel for what is going on. If the freeflows continue to be unmanageable, take it to a shop and have them check the tune.

I agree with Oxyhacker, practice with it in a pool abit until you get comfortable with the settings. My ATX 200 will also freeflow if I have the venturi lever set to + and the breathing resistance set very light, but all it usually takes to stop the freeflow is to put the reg back in my mouth or increease the breathing resitance (turn the knob in , clockwise, to increase the resistance)One of the things I like best about the ATX200 is the effortless breathing at depth. I wouldn't have it detuned just yet until you're sure you can't control the problem with the adjustments.

Good luck :)

Is this common practice to have to get used to the ATX 200 first before you can use it in the open water?

I know the Genesis and Sherwoods are always tested out of the box and they've always been good out of the box. Cressi for that matter makes a good reg. out of the box.

... but not too shaken. I've had problems with this reg in the past when accidentally holding the 2nd stage in the upward position while taking it out in the water. However, I had no problems the past correcting the freeflow, using the methods Oxyhacker suggested.
I tried all these methods this time as well, plus I did breath off it all the way to the surface - thankfully only 25'.
I've recently switched to diving doubles and so have'nt been using this reg for the last month or so. I tried it out because I'm off to Cozumel on Sat. and will need it for the single yoke set-up there. I'm glad I descovered it's sensitivity in shallow, fresh water!!!
I'll be careful with it and stick close to my buddy.
Thanks for the responses.
Barb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom