Freeport, Bahamas Trip Report (Oct. 7 - 14, 2007)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainmaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I arrived in Freeport, Bahamas via a direct flight on US Airways from Charlotte, NC on Sunday, October 7. The plane was on time (actually a bit ahead of schedule), and none of my luggage was lost or damaged. The cost of my round-trip ticket was $342.00.

The airport is large, modern, spacious and air-conditioned. Clearing Customs & Immigration took only a few minutes, and after a 15-minute taxi ride in an air-conditioned van (that cost $19), I was at my hotel. I stayed at the Bell Channel Inn in Lucaya, having secured the special rate advertised on the Internet of $82 per night (this included all taxes and fees). The Redwood Hotel had advertised a less expensive rate, but they didn't respond to my emails. I walked past the Redwood each day on my walk to Lucaya Marketplace, and it appeared to be closed.

My large, air-conditioned hotel room was very nice and clean. The staff was courteous and helpful, and I had no problems at all with my room (except for a brief problem involving the water heater, which was quickly remedied). Free broadband was available in the lobby, but I didn't bring my laptop because of luggage weight and space considerations. The hotel is not exactly in the middle of the business district. It was about a 30-minute walk (each way) to the tourist-oriented Port Lucaya Marketplace, and also about a 30-minute walk (in the opposite direction) to the City Marketplace (a large supermarket). Bell Channel Inn's website is located at Caribbean Divers Scuba Diving and Bell Channel Inn Hotel, Freeport, Port Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island, The Bahamas.

The weather was less than ideal for this trip. Melinda (of Grand Bahama Scuba) told me that Monday's diving had been canceled because of high winds that had created very rough seas. I wasn't feeling particularly well anyway, and not diving the first day gave me an opportunity to scope-out a grocery store, some inexpensive restaurants and an Internet cafe. My first day of diving was Tuesday, and seas were very rough. Visibility was only about 40 feet. I dived everyday until (and including) Saturday. The seas calmed considerably, and visibility started to get better by Thursday. The water temperature was 82 - 84 degrees, and I was very comfortable in my full-length 4/3 wetsuit. I made a total of 10 dives, and I'll always remember the Caribbean Reef sharks that were encountered, and diving on the Theo wreck. I went to Bahamas to see and photograph the sharks, and I was not disappointed. The maximum depths for most dives were in the 45 - 75 ft. range, except the Theo and Duncan wrecks (large freighters) were about 100 feet deep. The 10-dive package at Grand Bahama Scuba cost $275, and I feel that I really got my money's worth. My gear was rinsed and stored at their dive shop each night, and either Fred or Melinda picked me up at my hotel each morning and then took me back each day after diving. Fred and Melinda are walking encyclopedias of diving knowledge and Bahamas lore, and they are eager to share their expertise and information with their customers. Grand Bahama Scuba's website is located at Grand Bahama Scuba .

The photos for this trip are at rainmakerat92/Bahamas 2007 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting.

My Bahamas video (compilation of still-shots, mostly sharks) at YouTube: YouTube - Bahamas Shark, Wreck & Reef Diving.

Restaurants are very expensive at Port Lucaya. A bowl of soup can cost $5.50, and most entrees seem to start in the $12.95 - $14.95 range. Burger and fries start at about $8.95, and apparently just about every restaurant adds a 15% gratuity to the check. Because of this, I made coffee in my room each morning and also had breakfast and lunch in my room each day. My breakfasts consisted of fruit and breakfast bars, and my lunches were chips, instant soup and more fruit. I had supper each night at either the Subway sandwich shop, or at the Chinese restaurant at Port Lucaya Marketplace. Prices at Subway are about what they are in the US, and the Chinese restaurant had several vegetarian rice dishes that started at about $8.00.

Internet access was also expensive. I paid $35.00 for unlimited broadband use for 1 week at the Cyber Cafe, which is located at Port Lucaya Marketplace.

I did a lot of walking around alone (some of it after dark), and never felt uncomfortable or threatened. Almost everyone I encountered in Bahamas was helpful and friendly. English is the offical language, but Bahamas English is very different from southern Appalachian English, and I had some difficulty communicating with the locals.

Airfare, hotel and diving cost about $1190 total, and I was able to eat for about $10 - $12 per day. Other expenses included $38 for the two taxi rides, and $24 parking for my vehicle at the airport in Charlotte. There was no departure tax when I left Bahamas.

If you were a boozer like me you would have mentioned the GREAT mango smoothies they sell at the little stand in Port Lucaya Marketplace. HMMMMMM. We brought quart insulated cups just for that reason. My teens got the "virgin" version. Dad got all the rum from theirs added to his, *hiccup*

Thanks for the GREAT Report . I have booked a trip to the Island ( July 5th -- 12th, 2008 ) and was wondering who I was going to use for my dives while I was there. You have cleared all that up for me. ( Grand Bahama Scuba ) I would love to hear more as this is my first trip to the Bahamas.
Thanks Again
Eric B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom