Freeport (Grand Bahama) advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knight_of_Avalon

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be in Freeport the last week of September (2015). Does anyone have any advice? Must-see dive sites, reputable operators, things to avoid? And are any of the specialty dives (shark, dolphin, etc.) worth the premium?

I've actually never been to the Bahamas, so even general advice would be very helpful. Are they as bad as Jamaica about soliciting tips, or are there other concerns that I should know about?

Edit: Oh, and how is the night diving? I've never been on one in the Caribbean - have I been missing out on something special?

City of Lucaya is the only place that has any activity these days. The economy has gone to the dump the past 10 years. Freeport is dead except for Lucaya. The rest of the island is basically empty. Unexso is the only shop I'm familiar with. They seem like a reputable shop.

I went out with Grand Bahama Scuba a few years back and really enjoyed the experience. Small boat. Great crew.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Dove with Grand Bahama Scuba this week and strongly recommend them. Got 4 day dives between the weather. Good scenic dive sites, warm water, and sharks on almost every dive.

Here's another vote for Grand Bahama Scuba. I spent a week in Freeport in May of 2014 and dove with both Unexso and Grand Bahama Scuba. Unexso was just OK at best. I have no doubt that they run a safe operation and will get you home. However the boats are big, the dives were time limited (vs. air/computer limited) and they were pricey in comparison to Grand Bahama Scuba.

I could re-write everything I liked about GBH, and why they're the better choise than Unexso but, to save me some keystrokes here's a link to the review I posted on Trip Advisor after our visit.

It's like diving with your friends ... - Review of Grand Bahama Scuba, Freeport, Bahamas - TripAdvisor

+1 GBS - great operation no contest re UNEXCO. Not the best diving in the world, but it was a nice trip. Fred and Melinda made the diving days a very pleasant experience.

Back
Top Bottom