Freeport, Grand Bahama Food Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lauratm

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Heading to Freeport,GB at the end of the year. Any recommendation for places to eat? Looking for casual, but yummy!

Thanks,
Laura:D

The Best food is in the Port Lucaya area. Billy Joe's conch shack on the beach, Rum Runners at the square has great cheap food. Zorba's is another good restaurant.

In my opinion, Fat Man's Nephew is the best place for cracked conch! It's in Port Lucaya at Count Bassie (sp?) Square on the second floor near the marina. I'll also vouch for Zorba's (try their souse for breakfast with Johnny Cake :wink: ).

In my opinion, Fat Man's Nephew is the best place for cracked conch! It's in Port Lucaya at Count Bassie (sp?) Square on the second floor near the marina. I'll also vouch for Zorba's (try their souse for breakfast with Johnny Cake :wink: ).

I agree that Fat Man's Nephew was good...but its not there any more. Unless something else has opened up in the past month or so the upstairs is empty. The place down stairs is open, think the Pub is what they call it now. Food is ok not as good as Fat Mans was.

I can't believe it's not there anymore~ I loved that place. Guess that's what happens when you don't visit often enough. Now I'm going to have to travel to all my favorite places just to keep the restaurants open.....<sigh>. There was another place there that I forgot the name of. It seems like it was in the back of someone's house, but in a patio. They made real good local food. Do you know of it and/or know the name of it? That might be a good place for Laura to try if she's adventurous.

My rule in the Bahamas is to ask a local for a place with great macaroni and cheese. ( It's not the kind you get from a box!)

Jim

Does anyone know if Pier One is still there? I had a great dinner there a few years back.
It was fun sitting on the back balcony watching them feed the sharks. They fed them every
hour from 7-9 and they would hang out and wait. I took a group of people to dinner there
before I took them diving? hehe

Take advice from someone who lives here. There are only about 3 or 4 places you want to eat.
For Italian, go to Giovanni's. They have the best service.
Shenanigan's, the Irish Pub, is tied as our favorite. They have consistently good service and good food with reasonable prices.
Pisces has great pizzas if you are looking for something other than the Domino’s type pizza. You need to make reservations here.
If you want some place a little nicer, then La Dolce Vita.
Pier One is no longer here.
If you want local style food, then you need to go to Simply Native.
The fish fry on Wednesday night is always fun and you get the local fish, mac and cheese and some other sides. A word of warning about the mac & cheese, it has hot peppers in it. So if you don’t like hot food, then stay away from it. The fish fry is located at Smith Point and is on the beach and makes for a nice evening.
East Asian Fusion just opened is now where Fat Man’s Nephew was located. We’ve been there once and it’s too early too tell.
Zorba’s is the Greek place and is okay but they have raised their dinner prices. Zorba’s has the best breakfast.
If you want cheap, Rum Runners has the menu for you.
If you want to try the local favorite, conch salad, try the conch stand at Port Lucaya by the marina. If you have a car, then the best conch salad is at the fruit market downtown at Barbara’s stand.
If you have any other questions, PM me.

Melinda

Back
Top Bottom