Freeport Grand Bahama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjtedrow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

My husband and I are scheduled to go to Freeport from October 23rd through the 30th. We are staying at the Ritz Beach Resort.

I've been reading through the threads and am seeing most recommendations of dive ops as either Grand Bahama Scuba or Sunn Odyssey. We don't like to be on crowded boats - prefer no more than 10 people. Has anyone used both of these to be able to compare the two? It sounds as if either would be fine but I'm just curious about which would be the best between the two dive ops.

Thanks!
Terri

If you dive with Grand Bahama Scuba, and if they make repairs to the resort we go to before then.......I'll see you there!!

I'm booked for Oct 23- Nov 8th But I haven't been able to contact our resort since Frances.

Tavi:
If you dive with Grand Bahama Scuba, and if they make repairs to the resort we go to before then.......I'll see you there!!

I'm booked for Oct 23- Nov 8th But I haven't been able to contact our resort since Frances.

Hi Tavi,

Cool shark pics!!! I'm not the best u/w photographer but practice makes perfect!

So I take it you use GBS. I've seen lots of good posts about them. I just started doing some research today since we only decided last night to book the trip to the Bahamas. I hope all is well with your resort and that Frances didn't do too much damage. This will be our first time there so we had no idea where to stay or who to dive with. It's always fun to meet new divers, maybe we'll see you there!

Terri

Tavi:
I just read on The Bahamas message board that Sunn Odyssey lost 2 boats!!

:yourkiddi That's scary!!

I'm thinking............GBS!!!

Thanks for the info :icon10:

Hey, did you ever get through to your resort or find out what kind of damage (if any) they sustained?

No, I haven't gotten through yet. But on that same message board I found that they had major damage to 1 building, and there is poor communications and still no power to that part of the Island.

Still hoping for the best, Rick

Tavi:
No, I haven't gotten through yet. But on that same message board I found that they had major damage to 1 building, and there is poor communications and still no power to that part of the Island.

Still hoping for the best, Rick

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope to see ya there!

Terri :multi:

:17: Well, when I got home from work yesterday, I had the dreaded cancellation notice from RCI. It seems our Ritz Beach Resort in Freeport was damaged by one of the numerous hurricanes pounding it's way through that whole area and will be closed until some time in November.

:59: On a lighter note, we are now going to Tulum, Mexico, which is between Cancun & Cozumel in November, the week of our 8th anniversary so that will be kinda special. :07: We will just plan to head to Freeport next year I guess.

I hope everyone else planning on going to Freeport and the surrounding areas in late October has better luck with their chosen resorts than we did!

Terri

We usually spend 2 weeks at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort. Frances took the roof off and Jeanne made things even worse (water damage). They are closed 'til the 1st of next year.
Maybe I'll do a Fla trip instead! :)

Tavi:
We usually spend 2 weeks at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort. Frances took the roof off and Jeanne made things even worse (water damage). They are closed 'til the 1st of next year.
Maybe I'll do a Fla trip instead! :)

Hey Rick,

Bummer about your resort too!

We went to Key Largo last year and it was fantastic! I loved it - so far, it's my favorite dive destination. The water in Maui was really clear and Fiji was great for total relaxation but for variety of marine life and u/w landscaping, Key Largo was tops! I think the name of the place we stayed at was the Florida Bay Club. We were very pleased with the entire trip. Whatever you do though, DO NOT eat at Chilli Willies!!! It was AWFUL!! They put this cheese on just about everything and it is RANK!!!! :sick: :yuck:

Best of luck to ya! Let us know where you end up.

Terri

Back
Top Bottom