French Polynesia (Fakarava) versus Fiji (Beqa Lagoon) versus Palau (Koror)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luiscb

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody

I'm planning a 10 day diving trip next fall (10 oct to 20 oct or 14 nov to 24 nov) with my wife, and I have in mind three destinations, all of them in the Pacific Ocean, very far away from Paris, which is where I live. The main objective is to dive with the "big stuff", preferably sharks !

This is what I was able to know after investigating a bit:

First alternative : French Polynesia (Fakarava) - excellent dives in the Passes, namely in the south pass with the famous "shark wall" (reef sharks, silk sharks, but no tigers or bulls) which apparently is amazing. Diving is physically challenging, because of the current. As a minus, this alternative is the most expensive one (from Paris,4000 € per person, half board). October is a good month for diving;

Second alternative: Fiji (Beqa Lagoon) - The resort is magnificent, with also excellent dives and beautiful scenarios (soft coral). For many, it has the best shark feeding dive of the world, with tiger and bull sharks (although in October, the bulls are rarely seen because of the matting season). In the other dives, though, I don't believe you are able to see a lot of the "big stuff". The price is more reasonable (3100 € per person, full board). October is a good month for diving.

Third alternative: Palau (Koror) - The resort has much less charming, and the diving center is more "industrial" than in Fakarava of Beqa. Diving is great, though, especially in places like Blue Corner, New Drop-off... Probably not so many sharks as in French Polynesia, but apparently you can get a lot of them also. Diving is even more demanding than in Polynesia and much more difficult that in the Beqa lagoon, because of the very strong current. The price is the more affordable (2600 € per person, bed & breakfast), although bb only. November is a good month for diving;

Both me and my wife are both experienced divers in a good physical condition, (no problem for diving in Palau or in French Polynesia)

I really do not know what should I choose. French Polynesia is probably the best decision but is so much more expensive!!!
Fiji is very nice, but apart the shark feeding, do we get the chance of seeing some big animals on the other dives ?
I've heard also that Palau is a bit overcrowded and that it gets more and more difficult to spot those big walls of sharks like in Polynesia. Is that true?

Can someone give me some hints , please ?

Thanks

Luis

I dove in Fiji (which was great) with a Canadien who had spent time in Tahiti and reported that Fakarava was "amazing." He said he dove with tons of of sharks. You also speak the language which ought to help. My diving in Fiji was from Savu-Savu (Namena) and Kandavu. While there was current it wasn't overwhelming. Kandavu was quite a bit off the beaten path and i liked that aspect...in fact we had our little mini-resort to ourselves. Saw plenty of sharks and mantas etc in Kandavu area with good variety of dives. Namena was bursting with life too and is a fabulous place. The Fijiians in both Kandavu and Savu-Savu were very friendly and genuine. Life is full of tough choices !
Go someplace you haven't been before.

We have been to all 3 places and we liked Palau the best! Bequa lagoon was nice and we did see the Tiger shark on our shark dive but outside of that the dives were just okay. We were there in October and the weather was kind of rainy. We liked Tahiti but we were pretty new divers and back then I was happy diving our local lake! Tahiti is one of the most beautiful places we have been so you can't go wrong if you choose this option. Try staying at Palau Pacific Resort in Palau. That place is magical. I loved it there. Most of our dives were fabulous and you can not beat the top side scenery of the Rock Islands! I would go back there in a heartbeat. Now if we can just catch a break on the airfare from the states then we are there! Have fun!

I have no experience in the other places but Fiji is fantastic. I dove Naigani for two weeks, Kadavu for a week, Bega Lagoon for a month and Blue Lagoon Beach Resort in the Yasawas for two and a half weeks.

I LOVED the shark dive in Bega Lagoon but Oct can be real iffy as far as the weather for Bega Lagoon. The geography of the area lends itself to a LOT of run off when it rains and this makes the lagoon viz pretty bad at times.

My suggestion for Fiji would be to only spend two or three days near Bega Lagoon (at Fiji Palms or The Pearl or Uprising resort) to get in a shark dive or two and then go someplace else as the other diving there is just not going to be as good as many of the other places in Fiji.

I would then go to Naigani for a week (or whatever time you have left of your ten days). My wife and I enjoyed our time at Naigani so much that I have become their representative in the USA and it is a great value at the prices they are offering in 2013. Lots of great dive sites within ten to fifteen minutes of the resort and you will have a good chance of seeing sharks at those sites (although not big schools of them). From Naigani you can also dive Wakaya passage where you will have an excellent chance of seeing Manta Rays and Great Hammerhead sharks as well as turtles and other big critters. It is possible to dive E6 from Naigani as well. By the time you go to Fiji next fall there is a very good chance there will be a shark dive available close enough to Naigani to do from there as well (it is my understanding that one of the outfits that do the shark dives in Bega Lagoon is working with an op to institute a shark dive close to Naigani and that it should be ready to go by the time you would be there).

I have heard good things about Namena, but I have never stayed there or dove near there myself.

For me, Blue Lagoon Beach Resort is a great choice during Fiji's rainy season as it is always much dryer there than in other parts of the country. And, they have a shark dive that I LOVED as well. Viz is great there and you will see lots of lobster and things but I saw very few sharks other than during the shark dive and lots of folks are disappointed with the diving there compared to other areas of Fiji.

If I can be of any further help, please feel free to PM me here or email me.

Michael B. Caro
naiganiusa@gmail.com

Thanks every body for your suggestions. Just one thing that I was nor expecting: In every guide is said that October is actuallly a good period for Beqa and that the ariny season will start on November. Both Michael and Jake say that is probably raining at that period. This is important to consider and I'll keep that in mind.
Michael
I would love to travel a little bit around several places, but I'm afraid I can only stay for 9 days so I'll stick to one place only.
Best regards

Bon jour Luis,
We have been to all three places . Yes we loved Fiji sharkdives were awesome . We dove with both operators , for us BAD were the much better - with fewer divers . Did 6 days shark diving but no tiger shark ( that`s the reason we are going this year to Tiger beach Bahamas ) Palau was fantastic as well , we stayed at the Palau Pacific Resort great place (very expensive ) but for me a waste of money because you are away all day diving . Diving is very good as well lots of grey reef sharks and we seen one bull shark. Minus a lot of divers. Last trip we went to Rangiora and Fakarava . Rangiora fantastic place as well lots of big fish ,but lots of time you have to go deep (+50m ) and lots of divers. Last Fakarava : all I can say --magic --. We stayed at Tetamanu Village : Location 5 stars plus , bungalows very basic ,but clean . No bugs in 9 days . Food breakfast- lala- french , lunch and dinner fantastic . Can of beer around €2,60 . Now the most important . Diving the south pass is very easy . Only dove it with incoming current .Vis good /very good . 5 different kind of sharks eagle and manta rays napoleon wrasses and lots of schooling fish. And no crowds --At the time we were only 2 couples staying in the " resort " My opinion If I ever return to any places Fakarava is going to be on top of our list . Other people may disagree Fiji 2009 Palau 2011 Polynesia 2012 Herbie

Hello WallaiBH and thank you for advice. In fact I made my mind and I will go to Fakarava, which at the the end, probably has the best diving. We will stay 4 days doing the North Pass and 4 days doing the South pass, which many people say is among the best dives in the world. One of the reasons why I chose Fakarava vs Rangiroa is exactly because of what you mentioned: you need to go very deep in Rangiroa, and I don't like that. Next year, if I have the budget I will do Fijji or Palau!

Bon Jour Luis, very good choice. If you go on my facebook side ( Herbert Schmitz -photo the guy behind the bar with an aussie hat )you can see a lot of photos from all the destinations . In Fiji we stayed at Beqa Island Resort , advantage from the main island a lot less or no rain ( you are away from the mountains )We stayed 2 weeks and had no rain and in Pacific Harbour it was raining all the time . After Beqa we spend another week at Wananavu and dove the Bligh waters . Big currents and fantastic visibility.

Herbie from Allemagne

Hello everybody,

Even though you have made up your mind I thought I would write a comment as I have been to all three places. Fiji was my favorite. Beqa Lagoon is known for the shark dive but the rest of the diving there is just ok. I would recommend going for just a few days and staying in Pacific Harbor and diving with the operator aquatrek. They are the best operator and they created the shark dive. I stayed in Taveuni and the diving there was amazing, better than both other places. The island itself was beautiful with waterfalls and a lot of adventures. we stayed at Garden island resort as it is in the best location for diving.
If you ever decide to go to Fiji, I would recommend you book with Aquatrek in the U.S. Look them up on the internet. They only book Fiji and the lady there knows everything there is to know about Fiji and Fiji diving. We spent 3 weeks in Fiji diving Kadavu, Beqa Lagoon, Taveuni, the Yasawas. Every place she booked for us was excellent. Have a great trip!

Luis:

I think you will greatly enjoy Fakarava. I was just there and posted my trip report here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pa...eport-rangiroa-fakarava-french-polynesia.html

A couple of notes, I would do the South Pass first if at all possible. The diving is very easy there as the current is not that great. The North is more challenging due to a faster current. It would be good to get some time time the water before diving it.

Also, if your dates are flexible, email Matias at [FONT=&amp]www.divespirit.com[/FONT][FONT=&amp] for the best dates. When I was with them he indicated some days are better than other to dive the North pass depending on tide conditions. He said he would be happy to recommend the best dates if you have a flexible schedule.[/FONT]

Hello WallaiBH and thank you for advice. In fact I made my mind and I will go to Fakarava, which at the the end, probably has the best diving. We will stay 4 days doing the North Pass and 4 days doing the South pass, which many people say is among the best dives in the world. One of the reasons why I chose Fakarava vs Rangiroa is exactly because of what you mentioned: you need to go very deep in Rangiroa, and I don't like that. Next year, if I have the budget I will do Fijji or Palau!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom