French Polynesia, who to dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joining a bit late to add a couple of bits of info that may have not been provided before.

I've been to the Tuamotos 5 times. When diving in Fakarava North, I've always gone with Fakarava Diving Centre, now Kaina Plongee. If your email bounced, you can also try vincent perceval <vincentperceval@hotmail.com>.

When diving Fakarava South, I've always stayed in Tetamanu. Yes, no hot water, but it is doable. The night dive, it is a thrill......in my opinion, it beats the night dive in Cocos with the white tip reef sharks in the number of frenzies, so to me, it is definitely worth doing even tho it is more expensive than the day dives and are only 35 minutes. BUT, it is my belief that the action is in direct proportion with the amount of light being shined onto the reef, so more divers and high lumen lights (>2000 lumens wide beam) help.

Well, here's the thing with Fakarava as of now.
I will stay again in the north and last year I did some dives with Dive Spirit but all the staff has changed meanwhile so I was thinking to go with Kaina Plongee, with whom I went to the South Pass, but I didn't receive any answer to the mails I sent to both the address provided on the previous post or the form they have on their site...
I really don't want to go with TopDive, so I guess I have no other option than going down there and see who's available.

Vincent travels sometimes. I contacted another dive contact in Fakarava and he confirmed that the two email addresses you used are still good.

I myself get impatient also to get everything booked, but I would say that in this case, since you don't travel til October, maybe keep trying.

Actually I'm leaving in a week and will be in Fakarava in early May. October will be Japan (again)... BTW Vincent replied at last so things are moving in the right direction :callme:

Lastly with Air Tahiti's 23kg weight allowance now, should we bring our dive gear? Or rentals in good condition?
I’m told that there is an additional 5kg allowance for scuba gear.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Tahiti. I’m looking for a town hotel within walking distance of restaurants and entertainment.

Thanks

If you're looking for downtown Papeete there is a transit hotel close to the airport and city centre which is cheap as chips for FP - better options right in Papeete would be Hotel Tahiti Nui or Hotel Sarah Nui.
Just a heads up - check and see if your dates coincide with cruise ship arrivals. 4000 people vomited onto the island in a day can make prices soar and availability drop dramatically.
I've never stayed in either hotel but have heard they are acceptable. The Pearl and Manava Suites if you can get a beachfront suite are amazing but an expensive taxi ride into "town". Manava rooms are just Ok. One thing to do like about Manava suites are the roulottes (food trucks) parked just outside - something kinda cool about ordering beef carpaccio with a dusting of caviar and gold leaf served with a beautiful fresh salad for $10 served in a polystyrene takeaway container.

Reactions: CWK
...something kinda cool about ordering beef carpaccio with a dusting of caviar and gold leaf served with a beautiful fresh salad for $10 served in a polystyrene takeaway container.
Sounds good!

Was divine...sold out of a caravan by the side of the road - I'd recommend everyone going to FP check out the Roulottes. Fresh good food and always people sitting around chatting and laughing or divers shrugging their shoulders at planes that didn't turn up ...doesn't matter :wink: it's a nice way to meet the locals I also found (unsurprisingly) the same set up on Reunion Island. The French influence.

Reactions: CWK

Back
Top Bottom