French Polynesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob5019

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning a dive trip with my wife next summer (late June or in July). we recently returned from Saba, where fellow divers raved about two places: the Red Sea and French Polynesia. We have over 300 dives, but never outside of the Caribbean (except the Galapagos, Greek Islands, Florida and Hawaii).

The political climate makes the Red Sea iffy to me, so I am focusing on French Polynesia. My sense is that the best option would be a liveaboard. Also, I am an experienced underwater videographer, and great visibility is something that would be ideal.

Anyone have any thoughts on a good choice? That seems like a long way to go to end up with a disappointing experience. Thanks in advance!

I did a few dives in Moorea two years ago. Pretty expensive compared to my other international dives, but I enjoyed them. Lots of sharks and reef fish (some of the triggers were breeding so we had to be careful not to enter their territories). Wish I'd had the time and money to go to some of the other islands to dive.

Don't see how you could miss down there unless weather acted up.

Dr. Bill

I did Moorea about 10 years ago, and it was fantastic! Great reefs, fish, and total experience. Only one problem happened to a new diver who stepped on a stonefish! He was in a wheelchair for the remainder of his vacation. I stayed at ClubMed so I can't speak of live-a-boards. Go and enjoy. It's only 9 hours from Sydney!:mean:

I dove both Moorea and Bora bora a couple years ago, but from a cruise ship. The diving was super, tons of rays and sharks (lemon and black tip). Enjoy your trip!

Hello,

I was on the Tahiti Aggressor during May 2003. Also spent 5 days on Moorea before boarding the Aggressor.

It was a good trip but for the money I would recommend Fiji instead as your first trip to the South Pacific. We were on the Fiji Aggressor June 2002. Much more variety of life than French Polynesia. Nicest people I have met anywhere in the world.

I had a hard time finding details on French Polynesia. Feel free to E-mail me with any specific questions.

If you have your hearts set on French Polynesia, I would definitely recommend the Aggressor. We also stayed 2 nights in the Overwater bungalow at the Kia Ora - worth every penny.

John
jnsgonda@aol.com

Do a "search" in this section as there are several trip report on this subject ........

Several board members have recently been there ...Scuba Jim and Bacchus to name but a few.....and more in the past few months

You'll see lots of pelagics ... Mantas , sharks ....if your lucky whales ....

Topside French Polynesia is arguably one of the most beautiful places on earth

As mentioned above however IT IS EXPENSIVE

Disappointed .... don’t think that would be the case

Ask away if you have other questions……If you like feel free to PM

We spent our honeymoon in Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora.

Moorea was our absolute favorite: the friendliest people in the world (and I have been to quite a few places), gorgeous nature, incredible diving. I recommend staying in the Bali Hai Hotel. it is first class and has a much more "polynesian" atmosphere than the other resorts. If you can afford it stay in an over-the-water-bungalow: you literally live on the reef.
The lagoon is large and great for both diving and snorkeling. The barrier reef breaks all the waves, so the water is always calm and currents virtually non-existent. Manta's, sharks and millions of other critters everywhere.

Bora Bora is a smaller island and people are a little more wary (or tired) of tourists. Stunningly beautiful though. Diving was less good only because the visibility was quite poor (10-15 ft), but we may just have been unlucky.

Tahiti itself is like a metropolis compared to the other islands and I recommend you only stay there for a day of shopping.

A few things you should know:
- There is no nightlife on Bora Bora and Moorea. When the sun sets you eat, have a few drinks in the bar and retreat to your room/bungalow.
- Life in French Polynesia is very expensive. $20 breakfast, $30 lunch, $50 dinner per person. Alcoholic drinks $10.
- Although the islands are absolutely perfect for shore diving, you cannot rent tanks or buy airfills. The dive shops will require you to go with their divemaster. I believe we paid about $60 per dive.

RB

Back
Top Bottom