Fresh open-water diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atmerritt

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello to everyone. Over the past weekend I finished up my open water certification. Having completed PADI e-learning several months ago, and pool work two months ago, I was dying for my work schedule to loosen up a bit and let me get up to Dutch Springs. I went along to a Discover Scuba pool session two weeks ago to refresh a bit (and get my fix) before heading to the quarry.

There were five of us doing checkout dives split between our instructor (a CD) and his assistant (MSDT). We did 3 dives each day, I was actually certified by around 9:30am Sunday. Here's a recap of the dives we did.

Dive 1: 26 mins to max 29 feet. I took 1600 psi out of an AL63 (all following dives were on AL80s). After sorting out weight requirements we headed down to the platforms at 25 feet. Had some issues descending (more on that later). Did skills then headed off to see the firetruck (I think). 30' viz (most people hadn't hit the water yet).

Dive 2: Max 36' for 32 mins. Did some more stuff. Gulped down 1750 psi. There were more depth changes during this dive so I was fooling around with the BC inflator more too. Viz still 30' at the platforms but was as low as 5' in popular areas (very silty). Stayed like this the rest of the weekend. On this dive I began to get a very good feel for buoyancy control through breathing. I set my BC to keep me right about neutral and varied my breathing to fine-tune. At one point I swam at least 20-25', with my torso no more than 12" off the bottom but never touching it.

Dive 3: Max 35' for 28 mins. Blasted through 2000 psi somehow, not sure why. On this dive I became slighly annoyed with the large brown cloud that followed us everywhere, as well as my kicking the bottom while trying to work on gliding right over it, and began attempting the frog kick I'd seen demonstrations of. Well, maintaining bent knees wasn't gonna happen--my weighting configuration and total lack of experience gave me comical trim and balance--but I did manage to do something similar with my legs mostly straight. Once I hammered out a method, it just felt so much more efficient. I went from a constant, slow scissor/flutter kick, to a single "frog" kick every couple seconds that I could really feel moving me through the water. I was easily able to keep up, and maintain the method for long periods.

Dive 4: Max 51' for 34 mins plus 3 min safety stop. I was actually somewhat pleased with my 2000 psi consumption. This dive took us through two thermoclines, from 75 degrees on the surface, to mid-60s at 25 feet, and then to high 50s below 45'. This was our first dive with hood and gloves added to our 7mm farmer johns. Good thing, too, as I became comfortable with the sub-60 degree water after only a minute or two. During the safety stop I tried to maintain 15' without holding on to the buoy line. I did OK, but kept drifting between 12-19 feet, which was a little frustrating to me as I had been getting good at maintaining a depth swimming over the bottom.

Dives 5 & 6: Max depths of 54 feet for 34 mins, and 64 feet for 25 mins. Broke the surface with 700 psi each time. These were the dives that really allowed me to relax and focus more on personal techniques. We also decided beforehand to make both dives count towards AOW.

I wore 22lbs of weight for all 6 dives. At depth I sometimes felt overweighted, based on the amount of air I was keeping in my BC. Yet, at the beginning of each dive I had to force myself halfway down before I finally started descending without effort. In fact on the first dive I had to pull myself halfway down the buoy line. I wanted more weight but my instructor encouraged me to keep diving without adding any. I'm glad he did, because by the 3rd or 4th dive I was able to descend with minimal effort and, on the 6th dive, probably could have shed a couple pounds.

Things I took away from the weekend:

First of all I'm very happy with my instructor. He is friendly and truly loves what he does. He doesn't hammer students on skills but he doesn't accept "almost got it right" either. He doesn't take shortcuts. He's also the owner and practically the only employee of my LDS, where he's familiar with everything he sells and doesn't put customers under pressure. His shop is small and somewhat limited in variety, but it's a one-man show and only about two years old. He deserves a bigger shop so I'm definitely sticking with the place for the majority of my gear buying.

I need practice through more diving. Lots of it. And I need to practice mask floods. I'm still snorting water.

I need to get some gear over the winter. BCD and tank are first on the list. I'm going for an Apeks WTX harness and wing (without hard backplate at first, I may add it to the harness soon after) and a steel HP100. I'm not a fan of any jacket BCs--I have a smaller torso and they feel so cluttered. I tried on an Apeks WTX and it felt pretty good. I'll also be happy to be rid of all the extra floaty things. Between that and an HP100 I'll really be able to drop a lot of weight, especially considering the buoyancy characteristics of that tank. Then I can get my trim right. Then I can get my buoyancy control right. Then I can get my propulsion right. I have an eye on wreck diving in the distant future. I know I need to get these things right.

I will never depend on anyone else to be there if I have a problem or equipment failure. We were grouped into buddy pairs, sure, but I feel as though the students treated it as more of an exercise than an important safety protocol. I kept track of my buddy but don't feel as if he kept track of me. I feel that many divers I'm likely to encounter are going to be far too interested in the dive to regularly check up on their buddy and stay close enough. I want to be as prepared as reasonably possible to handle problems on my own. In that spirit I've already bought a pony bottle and sent it off for hydro. Shears and knife also on the list of winter gear purchases.

I need to meet divers from the area who can dive Dutch Springs on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and don't mind a noob who'll suck an AL80 dry in 35 minutes! It's only been a few days and now I REALLY need a fix.

Before I finish I really want to thank everyone who posts here. As a newbie, the New Divers section and A&I forum have been incredibly valuable resources to me. Thank you to everyone who makes these forums what they are. In particular I want to thank Jim Lapenta. I read his book, as well as his many posts here, and his advice has really shaped my impression of the type of diver I should try to be. His writings have encouraged me to be more cautious, be more prepared, and aspire to perfect my skills and techniques. But most of all, to remember that what I'm doing has killed many people, and can kill me in any number of ways, and is far more likely to do so if I become complacent.

Thank you! I know it's a long read.

Dives 5 & 6: Max depths of 54 feet for 34 mins, and 64 feet for 25 mins. Broke the surface with 700 psi each time. These were the dives that really allowed me to relax and focus more on personal techniques. We also decided beforehand to make both dives count towards AOW.

Congratulations on getting certified, nice writ-up and good plan to work through gear ideas over the winter. Reading in the gear foums here is a great primmer. When start to feel like you can actually answer some questions you are beginning to be an informed consumer.

How do you make 2 random dives suddenly relevant to AOW?

Pete

I will never depend on anyone else to be there if I have a problem or equipment failure. We were grouped into buddy pairs, sure, but I feel as though the students treated it as more of an exercise than an important safety protocol. I kept track of my buddy but don't feel as if he kept track of me. I feel that many divers I'm likely to encounter are going to be far too interested in the dive to regularly check up on their buddy and stay close enough. I want to be as prepared as reasonably possible to handle problems on my own. In that spirit I've already bought a pony bottle and sent it off for hydro.

Congratulations on your OW Certification. I am a newbie also having received mine in October 2011.

Unfortunately I feel the same way about one particular buddy I dive with. He is also a newbie and doesn't get the concept of buddy diving and doesn't stay near enough for my comfort. He will take off and be 50 - 100 ft in front of me. I joined a group of divers in my local area outside my LSD that get together socially and set up regular dives. They are more experienced and understand that I am new and look after me. I think once I get more dives I won't need someone within arms length and will find someone that will look after me as I look after them. I hadn't thought of a pony bottle. Hmmm.. .maybe another time, thanks for the idea.

I will never depend on anyone else to be there if I have a problem or equipment failure. We were grouped into buddy pairs, sure, but I feel as though the students treated it as more of an exercise than an important safety protocol. I kept track of my buddy but don't feel as if he kept track of me. I feel that many divers I'm likely to encounter are going to be far too interested in the dive to regularly check up on their buddy and stay close enough. I want to be as prepared as reasonably possible to handle problems on my own. In that spirit I've already bought a pony bottle and sent it off for hydro. Shears and knife also on the list of winter gear purchases.

Congrats. Sorry to hear that you felt you couldn't trust your buddy you were assigned to. In part I would say that it is partially the buudy & possibly partially the instructor, depending how much he/ she emphasized the buddy system. In any diving you do, especially if you must rely on "insta- buddies", there is both the good & the bad. Some people are great buddies,... some are not. I have dove the whole spectrum, with those that are "velcro" divers to those I have dove with, who have no clue as to what buddy/ team awareness is. All have contributed to make me a better diver. As a new(er) diver, you would be wise to dive with 3 different types of divers. 1. the more experienced diver that can help show you more of the ropes (but not take you past your training level), 2. the diver who is equal to you in level & skills (you can learn from eachother) & 3. Once & only when you gain some decent experience, dive with those who are certified, but at a lower skill level than you. Showing others around makes you more concious about your own diving technique. Don't let 1 bad buddy make you think all buddies are bad,... there are many good ones out there too. A good buddy can make all the difference.

Nice writeup, and it sounds like you were definitely focused and working during your dives. I like students like that.

I did wonder, as well, about the comment about the AOW dives . . . at least with PADI, each dive is supposed to have a very specific purpose, and has specific assigned skills that have to be completed during it, to count toward AOW.

And one final comment . . . there are two solutions to poor buddy behavior. One is personal redundancy, and the other is better buddies. I can guarantee you that there are some folks you could dive with at Dutch who would show you the latter solution, which is the one I prefer.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

As far as the buddy thing, I didn't mean to sound quite so disappointed with the buddy system. There are certainly valuable advantages to having and being an attentive buddy that redundant equipment just can't replace. For many/most OW students, checkout dives are their first real open-water dives. I'm sure that, given time and more dives after OW, everyone's buddy skills improve. I should mention that, during dive #3 I was buddied with a friend of the instructor. We stayed close and, if I was just outside his field of view, he was always checking to make sure I was there. I definitely had confidence in him. So while I certainly didn't lose faith in the system, I just don't want to fall back into thinking that "someone else" will always have my back if something goes wrong, especially if they're new to me.

In regards to the AOW thing: following the final checkout dive, and while planning our first just-for-fun dive, the instructor asked us if we were interested in doing AOW in the future, and if we'd like to make this dive count towards it. We agreed, and decided on a wreck dive. He went over what a wreck is, what to expect in and around a wreck, basic guidelines for surveying a wreck, etc. During the dive we navigated to the sunken helicopter, and examined it for any hazards as well as possible points of entry (obviously we were not to enter it). For the second dive we did PPB, pre-dive going over what buoyancy control means, how to control and fine-tune it, and the concepts of diver trim and drag through the water. During the dive we practiced buoyancy control exercises and went to a buoyancy-control obstacle course of sorts.

I'd like to finish AOW before the end of the season but also get some strictly recreational dives in, too, so I have more than just checkout and coursework dives under my belt. Next year I definitely want to complete the full PPB and wreck diver courses.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. That makes much better sense.

You are right -- one should never abdicate responsibility for diving safely to anyone else. The first rule is good planning, and then strong personal diving skills, but if you dive with good buddies, it's not unreasonable, at least to me, to count on them for assistance in handling issues that are beyond what you can deal with alone. Freeflows, entanglements, and navigational confusion are all places where your buddy can be valuable assistance.

Congrats!! It feels great to be certified doesn't it? Now you can just get out and enjoy diving as much as possible. Nice call with the AOW dives too. I promise you, while there are some buddies who don't seem to pay attention, like in your situation, I promise there are a lot of people who make great dive buddies. Sometimes it may take a dive or two of working out the awkwardness. A good sit down talk helps a lot to so you both know exactly what to expect from one another, etc. You will however find that buddy or buddies that you just mesh with really well and you will love it. :) Have fun diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom