Freshwater dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andyblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone know of any good fresh water dives or easy river drifts around Victoria for a fairly inexperienced diver. (me).

Anyone wanna show em to me? :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Anyone know of any good fresh water dives or easy river drifts around Victoria for a fairly inexperienced diver. (me).

Anyone wanna show em to me? :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Andyblue,

While I know there are some diveable freshwater lakes & dams (I remember an article in either in Dive Log or possibly in the CDAA's Guidelines), I would suggest Ewens' Ponds at Mt Gambier in SA. While there is a lot of info online, the following link is recommended in the first instance - National Parks and Wildlife South Australia - Ewen Ponds Conservation Park. To dive this site, I think that you will need to be qualified to at least PADI AOW diver in response to changes announced in late 2009 (the above link appears to be out of date).

For freshwater sites in Victoria, you should talk to Steve Trewavas (National President, CDAA) who works at Diver Instruction Services (Diver Instruction Services). Steve may know about some local local freshwater sites which may have identified as being suitable for cave diving training.

Anyway, please take care in freshwater. If you don't yet fully appreciate the risks (particularly buoyancy issues), get some advice.

Oh ok I didn't think freshwater was much different except for harsher thermoclines and needing less weight due to not being as dense as saltwater. Is that what you ment? Needing less lead?
Thanks for the advice i will definatly get some proper advice from someone more experienced and check out your contacts/links.

I was thinking of going for a dive in little river Victoria, I belive it drops to only 6 meters and at the bottom is a torana. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom