Freshwater diving in MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am kind of new to the area after relocating from Oregon in January. I say kind of, because I grew up here... I am pretty familiar with local ocean dive spots, but haven't done much freshwater diving in the area except for Winnipesauke. Searching on the board I could only find references to Hathaway's Pond on the cape which is a haul for me, and Nabnasset in Westford. Last weekend, I brought my gear down to Wallum Lake in the Douglas State forest planning to dive (70 ft depths and good viz according to state website) but the park staff pretty much freaked out when I gave them a heads-up to my plan (pick up trash and try to pet some fishies). I was told I have to get permission from the park before anything happens. I've been leaving messages all week and haven't heard anything back. To the best of my knowledge there are no rules prohibiting diving in DCR lakes and ponds as long as you drag a flag around.

I have two questions for the group here:
1) Does anybody know the REAL rules regarding diving in freshwater in MA?
2) Does anybody have recommendations on good freshwater spots in Central MA or Northern CT/RI?

Thanks much!
Dave

We often dive Wallum for the Saturday portion of weekend checkout dives, since it's a much shorter drive from the LDS in Worcester than Cape Ann. We get special permission to drive into the park, rather than diving from the boat ramp. We have permanent anchors that we attach three dive flags to. It is an area that swimmers do not utilize. Our max depths are usually 20-30'.

There is a 70' deep area, but it is approximately 1500' swim from the shore. I've never been out there, as I don't think it would be worth it, other to get to that depth. There's not a lot to see in Wallum. Most of the bottom is mud and leaves, with a few sandy areas that are few and far between. You see the random fish now and again. The viz has been horrible this year to date. In the past you might get 15' at best.

I have also dove Bigelow Hollow in CT. There are some threads here about it. It's not much different, except the viz is better. You have a loooong walk from the parking lot to the dive area, and you need a wagon/cart to haul your gear to it.

Your best bet is to go up to Cape Ann. It's just over an hour from Worcester and there are many options between Rockport and Gloucester, which you can choose from depending on the tides and the weather. Divers from all over meet at the rest stop in Beverly on 128 (BUrger King and Dunkin Donuts, 7 miles after 128 and 95 split), and then proceed to the chosen dive site.

Stop in at Central Mass Scuba on Shrewsbury St in Worcester and say hello. We'll be doing checkouts the next three weekends and you'd be more than welcome to join us.

Hi Malpaso! Yes, a much shorter drive, which is why we wanted to get wet there! Bad viz does not bother us, we are used to it diving on the tannic ponds and turbid Oregon coast. The viz looked about 10 feet on Saturday.
I agree that the best diving would be out on Cape Ann, but dragging the family of five out is not always the best situation for us. It's nice to have a spot where the younger siblings can play in a swim area or park while I run off and dive. The ocean temp seems to be getting into the mid to high 40s, which is about as cold as I like to dive in a 7mm wetsuit. I was hoping to get a few mellow lake dives in to shake out some new gear before driving all the way out to the north shore.

I've was in the store a few months ago and you guys filled my tanks. I will have to stop by and say "hi". Tagging along with you may be a great option. We are always willing to help new divers enjoy the water.

Thanks much!
Dave

Did Wallum today for checkouts. Water was 73*F, but dropped about 10*F at 20'. ~10' viz. Saw a school of about 20 kiver, and another guy saw a school of about 20 perch.

Place is staring to get crowded, and this might be our last Saturday checkout there for this season.

Thanks for the report Malpaso - that's about what I expected there. I will try to swing by the shop sometime this week.

best,
Dave

Well I took everyone's advice and headed out to Back Beach yesterday. Great dive. Splashed about 1hr after low tide. Temp 48deg, Viz 8-20 feet. Lots to be seen - nudibranchs, flounder, sculpin, sand dollars, 1 baby lobster, spider crabs, rock crabs, moon snails, etc. There was one other group in the water - looked like a class to me. Ended up swimming out to the line of pots and then back in. Easy, fun dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom