Front Beach got a storm "make-over"- Dive report Sat. 11/21/09 Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Even a favorite dive site can become too predictable, so it's often good to have a storm re-shape it! :)

At Front Beach, Rockport, MA, it appears the nor'easter of last week moved quite a bit of sand around, giving the bottom a fresh look. It carved a passage under a ten-foot boulder, piled tons of sand between others, exposed old mooring chains, moved the reef lines and generally made this nice dive more interesting, if only because it now requires more compass work.... :wink:

I did a couple long dives, joined for the first by ScubaBoarder, trappist, (so nice to have a buddy who likes a LONG dive....:D), and then solo on the second, since trappist had other commitments.

The sun was bright, air temp 50 to 60F, seas were calm, water temp was 47F, vis 10-20', max depths and dive times were 22fsw, 102 minutes and 45fsw, 105 minutes.

It was nice to still see some critters this time of year. There were some small schools of pollock swimming by, several sea ravens in various coloration awaiting prey, a few lobsters, including a keeper trappist grabbed, and some moon snails sliding along or burrowing.

Also, thanks to trappist's keen eyes, we may have seen an Atlantic spiny lumpsucker, too! Don't see those very often! Hope he got a pic! (Just saw the pic and it looks like a baby lumpfish perhaps! Still a nice find!)

What a great day!

Pics follow.

Dave C

The bottom was heavily furrowed by the recent storm swells.
PB211089_CCR_Flt_R1000.jpg

Some heavy abandoned mooring chain is now uncovered.
PB211087_CCR_Flt_R800.jpg

Some rocks had more undercut, attracting more lobsters (and divers like trappist here....).
PB211085_CCR_Flt_R800.jpg

A brightly colored sea raven laying in wait for prey.
PB211092_CCR_Flt_R800.jpg

Moon snails were on the prowl.
PB211105_CCR_Flt_R1000.jpg

The end of the day still just as calm as the beginning.
DSC05517_ACt_R01_2_Cr_R1000.jpg

Last edited:
thanks so much for posting this and the pics. I was wondering who would be first to venture in after that last nor'easter to see what conditions were like. I be battling a wicked cold so out of commission. Otherwise, would have been in for sure today with just about everyone else out there!

Love the pics. So good to see first hand what missing

thanks so much for posting this and the pics. I was wondering who would be first to venture in after that last nor'easter to see what conditions were like. I be battling a wicked cold so out of commission. Otherwise, would have been in for sure today with just about everyone else out there!

Love the pics. So good to see first hand what missing

I commiserate with you!

Since I'm at the the tail-end of a 6-week period of apparent tag-team colds and bronchitis, the decision to dive was a toss-up, but I couldn't pass up such nice conditions!

To keep safety foremost, I told my wife I felt fine (so she wouldn't kill me for diving) and I told my buddy about my potential for reverse block.... :wink:

My congestion created no major problems, in fact, it was kinda nice being able to monitor depth changes without looking at my gauges..... :rofl3:

Hope you can get back in the water soon! I enjoy your dive reports, too! :)

Dave C

One of my best dive off Cape Ann ! This one was really magical ! I simply did not want to turn back !! When Dave waved to turn around, I looked at my gauge: still 2/3 left and 65mins in... I struggled a little bit with my weights... Once back I realized I forgot to add 4 pounds !
On top of all these nice encounters, I also saw a nice Rock Gunnel that went off too quick for my camera to take a shot :(
Here is the best shot I could get from that little fish we saw... Lumpfish or ???
20091121_FronyBeach_024.jpg

And for once, here is our Dave in action ! He's always kind to take many pictures and give it back to us, so we never to get to see him on the pics, but this time I have him a couple times :D
20091121_FronyBeach_005.jpg

And another Sea Raven, I always enjoy seeing these !
20091121_FronyBeach_012.jpg

20091121_FronyBeach_019.jpg

Dave, thank you so much for this good dive ! And sorry I could not make it for the second, would have loved to check these "keepers" :D

Last edited:
Trappist, it looks like your top sea raven is a shorthorn sculpin (barring and no frillies). I love the pic of the yellow sea raven, not too often you get to see them! Any dive where I get to see a sea raven or sculpin is a great dive. Great colors and great shots!

Thanks FencingFish :) I learn everyday and I must admit I already have a problem to remember fishes' names in French so it is even more difficult for English ! I'm glad you pointed out my mistake as I probably would have never noticed the difference, only assuming they were different maturities or something like this :D

Looks like I may be getting out there on Wednesday morning. Anybody else playing hooky?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom