Ft Lauderdale & Key Largo - Thu/Fri/Sat 10-27 - 10-29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PittCaleb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Headed to south Florida for a family visit, bringing my dive gear with. Have a reservation with Captain Dave on the American Dream for Thursday morning 2-tank dive and will probably go out again with him on Friday unless someone wants to do something more interesting.

Possibility of a Saturday dive too if someone was interested. Key Largo is only 1.5 hours drive, could meet there and do a dive with someone if they were interested. Fly out Sunday at 6 AM, so diving Sat would need to be shallowish and high on NITROX if I'm diving that day.

Interested? Cell is best bet, will be in transit all day tomorrow.

PittCaleb
908-315-5279

Actually, Thurs through sat morning will be very decent conditions.

Last edited:
Don't know about conditions scheduled for this weekend but I dove on Monday and Tuesday. Did the Spiegel on Tuesday and we were one of only two boats there. Visibility was pretty mediocre (but still enjoyed the dive immensely). Was going to stay and dive Wednesday but was told there would likely be no wreck dives due to the wind and possibly not even any shallow reef dives due to the wind. Hopefully it gets better this weekend.

Interedting about the weather, meeting the captain tomorrow at eight. I get sea sick easily, wearing my patch already. Hour I get out once, even twice. Hope the seas stay calm

Well... hurricane Rina has weakened and is turning South, that's the good news. But, there's still going to be small craft warnings with marginal conditions.

For the dates that the OP is diving, it should be FINE. We are diving friday and maybe saturday too....

Today...East winds 8 to 11 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Dominant period 7 seconds. Intracoastal waters a light chop. Chance of showers.

Tonight...East winds 9 to 12 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Dominant period 7 seconds. Intracoastal waters a light chop. Chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms.

Friday...East northeast winds 12 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Dominant period 6 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms.

Friday Night...East winds 11 to 14 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Showers likely and slight chance of thunderstorms.

Saturday...North northeast winds 9 to 12 knots near shore to north northeast 13 to 16 knots in the gulf stream. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop. Showers likely and isolated thunderstorms.

Saturday Night...North northeast winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet building to 7 to 9 feet. Northeast swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters rough in exposed areas. Chance of showers.

Awesome conditions today. Water was a shade rough, but I didn't hurl like I have in NJ waters, so that's saying something.

70' Vis and incredible fishes at both the Captian R(something) and then Baracuda Reef - In my 12 months/50 dive career, have never seen anything like this before - let alone doing it in a 3mm shorty. Diving was such a breeze compared to NE diving.

Definitely going out again tomorrow, which means I probably shouldn't go on Sat AM. Departing by plane at 6 AM on Sunday. Had considered diving Sat AM NITROX, but if I'm going to N-load 2 dives thu & 2 more on fri, prob not worth it to push the time tables for flying by diving again on Sat.

Anyone local wants to meet up on the America Dream II out of Pier 66 in Ft Lauderdale, swing on over. Plenty of room, 8 AM meet, 8:30 depart...

PittCaleb
908-315-5279 if you want to arrange a meet... WoOuld be up for a shallow shore dive Sat morning if someone's in the area...

Thanks for the conditions report! I hope you have some great dives tomorrow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom