Full DIY Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FatRob:
Tobin,

i figure that with no seams to weld (obviously there is the vulcanised one to form the ring), and with a high denier cordura / ardura / keprotec outer shell, that an inner tube is less likely to rupture along a seam (since there are none) than an equivalent welded or glued bladder. So long as it is kept inside an outer sheath it occurs to me that it provides a better alternative to the DIYer than trying to deal with RF welding, or chemical welding of a seam, both notoriously difficult using non industrial equipment... as you have adequately clarified.

I suspect that the pro's use a welded fabric because it offers the following advantages:
- Flat packing
- Lighter Weight
- Better thermal stability
- higher modulus
- looks more professional
- probably safer working environment for employees... less nasty chemicals

the UV degradation is somewhat moot as a bladder is usually protected by an outer shell, but over time yes it could be an issue :)

I hope that that answers the questions to date....

BTW No Wife, so no issues with her list, my motorbike has a long list as does my car... then there is climbing, kayaking, skiing etc etc equipment to keep up...
Hence I have no use for a television!

I'm not sure we are talking apples to apples. Some wings are made of a urethane coated nylon. The urethane is on the inside, and is welded together. In this style wing the welded seams are subject to inflation loads.

In wings that use a welded inner bladder and a sewn outer the inner bladder is usually larger than the sewn outer. The sewn outer takes the inflation loads and the inner bladder shouldn't see inflation loads, it's just an air tight layer.

Tobin

RockPile:
Here's an incomplete list of what can be (if, of course, done correctly) DIY'ed:

Lights
Fin Straps
Stage harnesses
Jon lines
Neck bungies
Hogarthian harnesses
Tank carriers
Knifes and sheaths
Reels

I've only heard rumors but it's certainly possible:
Packplates
DPVs

And what isn’t really possible:
Wings
Tanks
Regulators

And you can't really list all the little "fixes" and ad hoc adjustments that can be done.

Feel free to add or subtract from my list fellas.

JB
If man has made something it can be DIYed. All you need is enough knowhow and energy to do it.

Remember, this sport started out as a DIY sport.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
If man has made something it can be DIYed. All you need is enough knowhow and energy to do it.

Remember, this sport started out as a DIY sport.

Gary D.

I DIY more than most, so, I get it. I take it my point is lost on you too?

Remember, space travel started out as DIY.

JB

I think I got your point. Imho it’s just how you have you items categorized that is a bit off.

I have dozens of cameras, drop, hand held, video, still and even some gag stuff. I also have 3 DPV's I built in the basement and during my first 20 years we made our own back packs and even tried back inflate BC's before there were any.

My first dive watch was a DIY in 62 because I couldn’t afford one. It was a tuna can, a thin piece of scrap Plexiglas, some brass machine screws washers and nuts, some scrap neoprene and some fiberglass resin. Worked quite well.

I have DIYed many more items over the years for sport and work. There is a wide variety of stuff that can be made.

I never attempted a reg but it can be done and in the early years all our tanks were old CO2 fire extinguishers we converted to diving.

With today’s technology and high tech materials DIY has gotten a lot easier for those who wish to venture into the DIY world.

Gary D.

I categorized conservatively to serve a practical purpose. But, to all you write in the above, agreed.

JB

RockPile I see what you're saying. It is a matter of feasibillity. Does one really have the tools to get the job done. Now I don't think most people have the know-how, a lathe and mounds of time lying around to make a reg. RockPile isn't saying that it is impossible, since obviously it is, but simply not feasible. Thus it was included under the non-DIY category.

RockPile correct me if I'm wrong here - trying to help

You've hit it on the head, alpaj. Thank you.

There's a reason cave divers make cave diving sound very hard. It's not because it's very hard, but because it's very dangerous. They do this because a fool is more likely to avoid hard things than dangerous things.

JB

RockPile:
Man! That thing is a stone beauty. Now...let's see yours. :)

JB

Well, it's been over a year, but ask, and ye shall (eventually) receive:
100_1025.jpg

100_1026.jpg

100_1027.jpg

This is a Voit Titan 1st stage converted to a double hose. The Titan and the Trieste(the top of the line double hose from Voit) used the same body. The 2nd stage was simply plugged off in the single hose Titan version. Here is a peek under the hood, while I was still designing. The pictures above were of the functional reg.
100_0742.jpg

I had a 2nd stage assembly machined, and hand ground a USD lp poppet to fit. I'm still working on the case castings, so for this prototype, I simply adapted a DAAM case to fit. I took it out to the pool for tests today. It breathes like a champ, and I'll soon be bringing it to a local lake for more checkouts.

That's some fine work there!

I remember this thread... It was this thread that made me turn down an inner tube as a primary option for my homemade wing. I'm currently using an inflatable toy boat.

Doc Ed:
That's some fine work there!

It's not fine yet. Wait until I strip the cases and have them rechromed. Then it will qualify as "fine!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom