Full Foot Fins in Bonaire; don't do it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In my recent trip, I was at the Jeff Davis site and saw this:
IMG_9136.jpg

The topside didn't look good to walk on, and he obviously can't see the bottom clearly where he'll be stepping. I recall this subject has come up (albeit not often) on ScubaBoard before, and since I grabbed this photo to show the entry for Jeff Davis relative to a diver coming down, I thought it'd be worth posting. I don't think he's identifiable in this shot and I'm not trying to belittle or embarrass anyone, just illustrate a point.

Many of Bonaire's shore diving sites have entries looking like this:
IMG_8096.jpg

But some look like these 2:
IMG_8148.jpg

IMG_8292.jpg

Never mind the Hilma Hooker site where the submerged shoreline is packed with pocked out little holes with sea urchins in them.

There are places that are easier; the pier at some resort house reefs, Bachelors Beach, Aquarius was pretty easy at the water, Windsock usually is (at least in the past; this time there was a big boat at the end of the pier the whole time I was diving).

May seem a bit random, but ever since I saw that guy making an entry barefoot, it's been bugging me to post. Not the first time we've talked about this on ScubaBoard.

Excellent advice!

I know someone who stepped barefoot on a piece of sharp coral on an exit on day one of a 10 day trip. Pierced an artery - was rushed to the hospital. Vacation sucked after that.

Not to mention diving Jeff Davis when the water is that high is not the best decision either. He could’ve come back later when the little sand patch is exposed. But to your point; no full foot fins unless you’re going to wear water shoes until you’re floating, then somehow attach them to your BC (and add weight to compensate). Somebody should probably mention that in a video :cool:

Years ago, I had to do two days of diving In Bonaire in full foot fins. My bags were never loaded on the plane, and for whatever reason, the dive shop we were using ONLY had full foot fins. We stuck with mostly sandy entries and I wore flip-flops for the entries (better than nothing, I guess). Entries and exits were not great experiences. But it was STILL an awesome trip with awesome diving!

OUCH! Great reminder. Having gashed neoprene booties on the side from a scrap against the ironshore cannot imagine what barefoot feels like. Not just booties, hard sole booties. Urchin spines can pierce. I abuse my feet - used to walking around barefoot, hot sand, etc and I would never venture over that with full foot. I'd wear a beater pair of cheap sneakers and stash in a pocket after switching out in water.

OK, I'll say it: Doing a barefoot shore dive entry in Bonaire is a very special kind of stupid.
And make sure your boots are thick, hard soled for extra protection. I’ve seen some boots that won’t offer much protection from puncture - fine for boat diving and sandy shore entries but not a good choice for rocky shore entries.

I had to go up a size on my scuba pro sea wings but I bought a pair of military work boots. You put them on and you can walk anywhere to dive. They don't slip and they are the best dive boots I have ever had. I have a bootie dryer so they are all dry every morning. I also got a walking cain that folds into 4 pieces. You can't believe the difference that makes on walking in and out from a shore dive. My cousins all laughed at me when they first seen it. But after they asked to hang onto me getting in and out for the 2 weeks. they became a Big believer in my dive boots and my walking cane. When I get in, I fold it 4 ways and it tucks right in my cummerbund.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom