Full moon diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coral-Reefer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like there will be a full on on August 29th. Is this when some coral spawn? Would love to be able to night dive with someone, somewhere away from the hunky herd... just settle in, turn off the light, and enjoy the show.

Looks like there will be a full on on August 29th. Is this when some coral spawn? Would love to be able to night dive with someone, somewhere away from the hunky herd... just settle in, turn off the light, and enjoy the show.
Wow if only I could do this in the nyc waters - way too cold for my liking.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

We were in Coz in July and did a night dive on Chankanaab Shallows. We were the ONLY boat there! I really dislike Paradise Reef for night diving because of all the boats that show up, so I was happy we found a very quiet location.

We were in Coz in July and did a night dive on Chankanaab Shallows. We were the ONLY boat there! I really dislike Paradise Reef for night diving because of all the boats that show up, so I was happy we found a very quiet location.
That can be hard to arrange, both because the gas expense is much higher and boat captains often don't want to be way down there alone in the dark of night.

Several years back in the fall I was able to talk enough folks into a twilight dive so that I was able to fill the boat (6 - 8?) so that fuel costs were not a limiting factor and for the night portion we did the Gardens. Did the full dive (60 - 70 minutes) and tailed out into the shallows, it was a very very nice Dive. On another occasion I tagged along with a Dive club charter and did Columbia shallows for a night dive, again an excellent Dive.

Of them all Paradise really has the largest population of octopus and eels and I have always found it to be a fun night Dive. A couple weeks ago on Paradise when the worms started clouding I bright lighted the Brain Coral so that the worms would cloud onto the polyps and they could feed on them (feed your Brain)
I have never dove Chankanaab but it is very close to the Caleta so in the event Paradise is crowded fuel cost should not be a factor. I also hope to do a twilight or at least a night dive on the 29th and since it is the beginning of the ultra low starvation period on the island I do not expect many boats.

Back
Top Bottom