Fun Azul Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

95devils

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone done the Fun Azul fleet in the Sea of Cortez on the M/V Valentina? Looking for a liveaboard for September that actually does the Sea of Cortez. Wife wants guaranteed sea lion diving.

Thanks

I've seen the ads, but no reviews. Is it brand new? Judging by the photos, it looks like it might cater to Asians--perhaps that's the reason we aren't hearing about it?

We're going to Sea of Cortez with Rocio del Mar Sept 7 - 14th; last I checked, there were still berths available.

I'd recommend Rocio also instead.

My buddy dove with them last summer - there were so many sea lions he couldn't film them all. Also they saw Whale Sharks, dolphins and a couple of Manta's? Some False Killer whales or Pilot whales also IIRC. Lots of sharks and other fish also, octos etc. - watch the videos in the Rocio gallery. Fall is a better time for both Mantas and Whale Sharks.

Show this first video to your wife - starting at 14:50 there's 5 minutes of diving with Sea Lions. Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard - Midriff Islands Video Gallery They also dive off San-something - the 2nd largest Sea Lion colony in the Sea of Cortez.

Sea Lions like shiny things. We dive with them off San Pedro Island (near Guaymas) and they're fascinated by their reflection in my lens port. Usually swim right up to it, try to bite it, then blow bubbles. Often will grab at d-rings or anything dangly also. Even split fins have appeal. We leave snorkels on the boat as it's not unheard of for one to grab yours as he's zipping past. Since it's attached to your mask...

There's a couple older boats - MV Valentina is one, Club Cantamar has the other - that work that area. Both are from the late 90's or earlier. One burned and was rebuilt. There was also another - it was to be the Baja Aggressor going to Socorros but Aggressor couldn't get permits. They refurbed it though but judging by the Valentina's cabin photo - that's not it. I think Valentina is the older ex-Cantamar boat.

Also unless you get one of the two Master Cabins, Valentina is all bunks. I've been on a similar boat of that vintage and on it all the cabins were one deck down so all you had was a porthole.

Rocio was built about 5 years ago as a liveaboard dive boat - the others are converted. Rocio has beds in every room - some queen IIRC. And big windows. Cabins are above the main deck also. There's pictures of the rooms in their gallery. Oddly the only place Rocio has portholes is in the dining room. I think there's also 2 front cabins with a wall of windows.

In full disclosure, I know Rocio's owner slightly - they're good people. Their offices are about 5 miles from my house.

Another advantage Rocio might have is that you fly into Phoenix and take their shuttle ($125/rt) directly from the airport to the boat. They handle all the customs/immigration stuff and cross at a minor border crossing (Sonoita) so it takes less time. It's about 3 hrs. to the border and an hour more to the boat - moored in Puerto Penasco. (also called Rocky Point) Phoenix is a US Airways/American hub.

Last edited:
Guaranteed sea lions at San Pedro Nolasco Island off of San Carlos. No need for a live aboard, El Mar will do 3 tank dives at the island. Great time of year to go.

+1 - if he hadn't have posted "looking for a liveaboard" that would have been my first suggestion.

El Duque doesn't really qualify...if it still floats. :D

Fun Azul has a branch office in LA. Had not heard about them and was looking for liveaboard options. Ended up booking on the Rocio Del Mar for the Aug 31st trip.

Thanks for the replies.

We'll be there the week after you, 95devils! Looking forward to your report or (possibly?) last-minute advice!

Back
Top Bottom